Police blitz targets highway safety over long weekend
Published Friday, October 5, 2012 11:14AM EDT
Last Updated Friday, October 5, 2012 1:00PM EDT
Ontario police have launched an annual blitz against dangerous and distracted driving on Friday, in the hopes of avoiding carnage over the Thanksgiving weekend.
Police forces across the province will join the RCMP and Ontario Provincial Police in “Operation Impact” – a directed effort the educate motorists on the dangers of improper driving habits.
“We want to make sure that the roads in Canada are the safest in the world,” OPP Sgt. Dave Woodford said on Friday. “To do that, we have to be out there. Thanksgiving weekend, a four-day event, we are going to be out there all weekend long.”
Woodford said officers will be focused on aggressive driving, seat belt infractions, distracted driving and impaired driving.
Four people died on OPP-patrolled highways last Thanksgiving, Woodford said. So far this year, 258 people have been killed on Ontario highways.
“We want to make sure that we can reduce those numbers,” Woodford said.
Operation Impact begins on Friday and run through Monday.