Toronto police say they have identified 14 officers present at the alleged beating of a demonstrator during the G20 summit this past summer.

Mark Pugash, a Toronto Police spokesperson, told CTV Toronto on Thursday that the officers have been identified in the past 24 hours -- three seen in new images.

Investigators then identified 11 additional officers, he said.

The police have forwarded the information to the provincial Special Investigations Unit, he said.

That arm's-length agency reviews cases in which people were injured or killed as a result of contact with police, or where there are allegations of sexual assault against an officer. The agency can recommend the laying of criminal charges.
The Toronto Police Service is conducting a parallel investigation to see whether any officers committed breaches disciplinable under the Police Services Act, he said.

Pugash said the police doesn't identify anyone who hasn't been criminally charged.

However, any tribunal hearings will be open to the public, he said.

"But first of all, no one's even been charged here. It's simply a case of, 'you were in the area,'" he said.

The SIU will investigate further. Some officers will be designated as witnesses and some as subjects, Pugash said.

Late last month, the SIU said Adam Nobody (not his birth name) had likely been subjected to excessive force when police subdued him on June 26 as they broke up a demonstration at Queen's Park after rioting broke out downtown during the summit of world leaders.

YouTube video posted by an onlooker showed Nobody on the ground surrounded by officers in riot gear, apparently being struck.

Nobody, 27, was taken to hospital for treatment of a fracture below his right eye. But the SIU said it was impossible to identify the officer from the video.

The SIU said the badge number on his arrest sheet didn't correspond with the assigned badge number of any Toronto police officer.

Earlier this week, new video and images surfaced in the media.

At a news conference in Victoria, B.C. on Wednesday, Chief Bill Blair said, "We are in receipt of new and important evidence published in the Toronto Star yesterday and today."

That information has helped police identify several officers involved in the arrest team and is being forwarded to the SIU, he said.

Blair said his service was also working with other agencies reviewing policing of the G20 summit, which took place on June 26 and 27.

"We are pursuing the truth, and we are trying to find all evidence that is available to us," he said. "We are pursuing those investigations with all vigour to make sure our people are held to account."

On Tuesday, Ontario's Ombudsman Andre Marin released a report saying a regulation passed by the Liberal government that greatly expanded police search powers but was probably in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Blair said he regretted not informing the public that the original legal interpretation he received of the ruling was incorrect. Police were originally instructed they could stop, question and search anyone within five metres of the outside of a security fence surrounding the G20 summit inner security zone.

The chief told frontline officers the rule only applied inside the zone, but the public wasn't told that until after the summit ended.