Skip to main content

'Unique' case of measles discovered in Ontario with unknown source of infection

Share

Health officials in York Region say they are investigating a “unique” case of measles as it is unknown how the man contracted the contagious disease.

In a news release on Thursday, York Region Public Health (YRPH) said the patient, who is in his 30s, had not travelled recently and had no contact with anyone ill.

He is the fourth confirmed case of measles in Ontario. The other three cases involved children who recently travelled abroad.

“YRPH is reaching out to known contacts who may have been exposed to this confirmed case of measles virus. Additional exposure locations are under investigation, and impacted contacts will be directly notified.”

YRPH also released the following list of locations where the public may have been exposed to the case:

  • Melt N Dip Restaurant (1018 Eglinton Ave. East #4 in Mississauga) on Feb. 24 from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
  • Mackenzie Health Cortellucci Vaughan Hospital (Main Waiting Area) Emergency Department (3200 Major Mackenzie Dr. West in Vaughan) on Feb. 26 from approximately 2:40 to 4:55 p.m.
  • Vellore Medical Clinic (10395 Weston Rd. in Woodbridge) on Feb. 26 from approximately 12:10 to 5:30 p.m.

YRPH advises anyone who may have been at these locations and times to immediately confirm they have been vaccinated against measles.

“If you were present at the above times and locations and you were with an infant under 6 months of age or are immunocompromised, please call York Region Public Health immediately as you may be eligible for preventive treatment.”

Measles is a highly contagious airborne infection and the virus can live in the air or on surfaces for up to two hours.

Symptoms, which start seven to 21 days after exposure, include high fever, cough, runny nose, red rash and red, watery eyes.

Last week, Dr. Kieran Moore, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, wrote a memo to local public health agencies, advising them to be prepared for more cases and potential outbreaks of measles due to rising infection in Europe.

As of Feb. 23, there are six active cases of measles in the country, with most involving unvaccinated or under-vaccinated children who travelled internationally, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

“As we head into the spring break travel season, I am concerned that the global surge in measles activity, combined with the decline in measles vaccine coverage among school-aged children in Canada, could lead to an increase in imported measles cases, potentially resulting in transmission in communities in Canada. I strongly advise everyone in Canada to be vaccinated with two doses of a measles vaccine, especially before travelling,” Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s chief public health officer, said in a statement last week.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

'Rust' armourer gets 18 months in prison for fatal shooting by Alec Baldwin on set

A movie weapons supervisor was sentenced to 18 months in prison in the fatal shooting of a cinematographer by Alec Baldwin on the set of the Western film "Rust," during a hearing Monday in which tearful family members and friends gave testimonials that included calls for justice and a punishment that would instill greater accountability for safety on film sets.

Donald Trump hush money trial, explained

All of Donald Trump's trials and the characters involved make for a complicated legal mess, particularly when the four criminal cases are added to Trump's civil liability for defamation and sexual misconduct and for business fraud. Here's what to know to get up to speed on this first criminal trial, starting April 15, 2024.

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

Stay Connected