Toronto police have transported what they say are possibly explosive materials to an isolated area on the Leslie Spit.

The materials were found outside the house of Byron Sonne, a G20 activist who is currently on trial for four counts of possession of explosives.

Police say they will leave the materials at the Leslie Spit overnight under police guard to allow for further investigation. They will be detonated on Thursday.

Police units -- including the bomb disposal unit, OPP tactical and hazmat teams -- arrived at Sonne's home at 58 Elderwood Dr. near Bathurst and Eglinton Avenue around 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.

Police Det. Tam Bui said the execution of a search warrant at Sonne's house was motivated by evidence presented during his court case on Monday.

Because the court case is active, Toronto police could not say what they were looking for in the house.

But police found something in a container in the backyard with additional containers inside it.

Police Const. Wendy Drummond said the discovery of possibility of dangerous materials was a "concern" for bomb experts.

By 5 p.m., police had evacuated several homes and asked others residents in the area around Sonne's home to remain indoors.

Police loaded the containers in question into a hopper on the back of a trailer, attached that trailer to a truck and drove the potentially hazardous material from from 58 Elderwood Dr. to the Leslie Spit.

By 6 p.m. police had started driving the material along city roads, moving from Bathurst Road and turning east onto Lakeshore Boulevard and then onto the Gardiner Expressway, accompanied by a police escort that halted traffic along the way.

Sonne has been in custody since June 2009 when he was charged, and this new investigation came after the final day of arguments in Sonne's court case on Monday.

Sonne was originally arrested on a TTC bus he was riding downtown after allegedly getting caught hacking into secure G20 websites.

His home and cottage were searched in 2009 during the G20 summit.

Sonne, who is a computer programmer and a hobby chemist, admitted to having chemicals at his home that could be combined to make explosives, but said he never combined or "weaponized" them.

His defence team argued that Sonne made poor decisions in trying to expose the exorbitant $1-billion G20 security system by showing how easy it was to hack. He was also trying to prove that one could access the materials to make explosives without getting caught, his defence team said.

Sonne faces up to 10 years in jail if convicted.

Justice Nancy Spies will give a decision on May 23.

With files from George Lagogianes and The Canadian Press