Skip to main content

Charges laid in 2022 death of construction worker who became trapped underground in Mississauga

Crews are working at the scene of an industrial accident in Mississauga. Crews are working at the scene of an industrial accident in Mississauga.
Share

Peel police have charged an Ontario tunnelling company and one of its employees in connection with the death of a 54-year-old man who became trapped in an underground tunnel in Mississauga more than a year ago.

On Dec. 2, 2022, emergency crews were called to the area of Hurontario Street and Burnhamthorpe Road West shortly after 3:30 p.m. for reports of one worker being trapped in an underground water chamber.

A spokesperson for the Ministry of Labour previously told CP24 that work was being done in a watermain when it burst and filled the chamber. Efforts to rescue the worker commenced, but he wasn’t pulled out until the following morning and was pronounced dead.

Police said the worker, identified as Joaquim Silva, suffered fatal injuries while servicing a damaged pipeline. Silva was employed by Technicore Underground Inc.

Following a lengthy police investigation conducted in parallel with the Ministry of Labour, they announced that Technicore was charged with criminal negligence causing death and served with a criminal summons earlier this week.

In addition, Joseph Di Millo, a Technicore project supervisor, was arrested on Mar. 28 and charged with criminal negligence causing death.

He was released and will attend a Brampton court at a later date, while Technicore is required to appear in court on May 31.

Police continue to ask anyone with information about the incident to contact them at 905-453-2121 ext. 1133 or Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477) or peelcrimestoppers.ca.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

A deep-dive into a failed 'Star Wars' hotel is going viral

In 2023, Disney closed a highly-publicized luxury hotel on the Walt Disney World property called 'Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser.' Now, a year later, a four-hour-long YouTube deep-dive has resurfaced details about the concept and spread the niche piece of Disney lore to millions of viewers.

Montreal-area high school students protest 'sexist' dress code

Approximately 50 Montreal-area students — the vast majority of them female — were suspended Wednesday after their school deemed the shorts they were wearing were too short. On Thursday, several students staged a walk-out to protest what they believe is a "sexist" dress code that unfairly targets girls.

Stay Connected