Toronto Police have announced the arrest of one man accused of G20-related crimes and the re-arrest of a second.

Police say Nicodemo Catenacci, 41, of Windsor has been arrested and charged with the following:

  • arson
  • breach of probation

Police allege he was involved in the burning of a police car at Queen Street West and Spadina Avenue on June 26, the first day of the G20 Summit in Toronto

A second man was re-arrested after being picked up, charged and released earlier in the summer, police said Wednesday.

"Jeffrey Delaney, 23, of Toronto, was first arrested and charged on July 19," the G20 investigative team said Wednesday in a news release.

"He has been rearrested and charged with failing to comply with a recognizance."

Delaney had previously been charged with mischief and attempted theft.

Meaghan Gray, a spokesperson for the G20 investigative team, told CTV News she believed the two were to have bail hearings this morning after being held in custody overnight.

Police had previously released a photo of Delaney, but not Catenacci, she said.

No allegations against the two have been proven in a court of law.

Catenacci's arrest marks the 18th suspect picked up by the G20 investigative team, which is specifically looking into crimes committed by vandals using so-called Black Bloc tactics during the G20 summit.

A relatively small group of black-clad individuals emerged from a huge, peaceful anti-G20 march organized by the labour movement and went on a damage spree in the downtown core. They shattered windows and attacked police cruisers, with one police officer injured. Afterwards, they took off their black clothing and blended back into the crowds.

Gray said six cruisers were either burned or otherwise vandalized that day. The four burned cruisers were all write-offs. One of the two vandalized vehicles could be salvaged, she said. A fully-equipped police cruiser costs between $65,000 and $70,000, she said.

A total damage estimate to police vehicles and other property has not been released, Gray said.

Police cracked down on demonstrators after the Black Bloc outburst, with more than 1,100 people taken into custody. Some say this constitutes the largest mass arrest in Canadian history.

The police launched the G20 investigative team and solicited photos and video from the public in order to identify and apprehend those who carried out acts of vandalism and other crimes during the G20 weekend.

Since then, a class-action lawsuit has been launched against police in response to what the activist community has said were heavy-handed tactics that violated peoples' civil liberties.

The Toronto Police Services Board announced last month that it would carry out an independent civilian review of G20 policing.