Toronto Police say they have arrested one man and released the name and photo of another they allege helped wreck a police cruiser during G20 rioting on June 26.

Police announced Wednesday they had arrested Matthew McDonald, 33, of Toronto in connection with damage to a police car.

McDonald faces charges of mischief under $5,000 and failure to comply with a probation order. He was scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday at Old City Hall.

Const. Tony Vella of the Toronto Police Service said they won't be releasing a photo of McDonald, who is alleged to have damaged a police car while it was burning.

In an earlier news release about the other man, Stephen Caswell, 30, police said: "It is alleged that the accused caused damage to TPS police car 3251."

Police describe Caswell as being white, 5'10", 180 lbs. with short, brown hair.

Vella said he thinks the McDonald and Caswell incidents are unrelated. Five police cruisers were damaged on June 26.

The G20 investigative team said it continues to welcome photos and video of any acts of vandalism committed during the G20 Summit period of June 26 and 27.

Disappearing file

Meanwhile, the Toronto Community Mobilization Network said a G20 "five-metre" charge against an environmental activist has mysteriously disappeared.

David Vasey, 31, appeared in court on Wednesday to request more details about a Public Works Protection Act charge laid against him on June 24.

The network claimed the file was no longer on record on either paper or the police database.

"It's something we're continuing to look into," Meaghan Gray, a spokesperson for the Toronto Police, told CTV News about the missing records.

"We believe it could be a number of administrative issues," she said, adding they need to speak with all the officers involved in processing Vasey.

"My understanding is there are no charges against Mr. Vasey that are before the courts at this time," Gray said. "The case now goes back before the officer in charge and the Crown (attorney) to decide how to proceed. That decision hasn't been made yet."

McGuinty on the fence

On Wednesday, Premier Dalton McGuinty admitted the province should have better informed the public about an amendment to the Public Works Protection Act that allowed police to stop and search people within five metres of inside of the security fence encasing the G20 summit site at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre.

Police originally thought they had the power to stop people within five metres outside the fence. If those people did not consent to presenting identification, being searched or answering questions, they could have faced arrest.

While government lawyers say they informed police on June 25, and Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair said he instructed his officers to only enforce the rule within the perimeter immediately after that notification, no one told the public.

When asked on June 29 whether there really was a "five-metre" rule, Blair said, "No, but I was trying to keep the criminals out."

The G20 resulted in the largest mass arrests in Canadian history, with more than 1,100 people taken into custody. Fewer than 300 were actually charged.

Andre Marin, Ontario's ombudsman, has said he will probe the "five-metre" rule and has been asked to look into the excessive use of police force.

However, Marin has said that's up to McGuinty. The premier has said no to the idea of a public inquiry.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Paul Bliss