Occupy protesters take to streets in 'Evict Ford' march
For a sixth weekend in a row, downtown Toronto streets were clogged with Occupy protesters marching towards City Hall.
Hundreds of protesters, joined by several union groups, carried signs and flags in the "Evict Rob Ford" march that started at about 2 p.m. on Saturday.
A Facebook event called "Occupy Toronto: Evict Ford" says that the demonstration is to let the mayor know that the protesters are not leaving St. James Park.
"…lets all tell Ford that Occupy Toronto isn't leaving, it's time for HIM to go! [sic]," says a statement on the event page.
"The libraries, the cutbacks, there's no gravy train," one protester told CTV Toronto. "It's time for him to go."
The protesters split into two groups, with one group marching east and the other west on King Street West.
The groups then converged at Nathan Philips Square for a demonstration at City Hall just before 4 p.m. before marching back to St. James Park.
"I think that in the last two months we've all seen that the Occupy movements around the world have changed the way we talk about inequality," another protester said. "No matter what a judge decides, this movement has started and it's not going to stop."
Earlier this week, the Occupiers were issued a court order allowing them to continue camping in the park after they were handed eviction notices by city bylaw officers.
In court on Friday, the lawyer for the protesters suggested that if the city goes forward with an eviction it would be infringing on the protesters' freedom of expression.
Lawyer Susan Ursel told Justice David Brown that "the encampment is an exercise of conscience."
"(It's a) manifestation of what they're trying to create in the world," she said.
Brown is expected to release his decision on Monday.
With a report from CTV Toronto's Michelle Dube