Missing baby found safe; teen suspect in custody
A baby boy who went missing from his family home Friday evening has been found safe.
Kamren Cunningham, who is 10 months old, vanished on Friday night with a 14-year-old girl, according to police. The girl was temporarily staying with the boy and his mother.
The teenage girl who allegedly took the boy is currently in police custody.
The two had left the boy's home in the Jane Street and Lawrence Avenue West area around 7 p.m. on Friday, police said.
The infant was found at around 4 p.m. not far from where he vanished. According to police, a tip from the public led to the boy's discovery.
The teenage girl can't be identified because she is now considered a youth suspect. She will be charged with abducting a person under the age of 14, and will appear in court on Sunday.
The boy's godmother, Paulette Ransom, told reporters that mother Kirsten Cunningham-Samuel was overjoyed to get her son back.
"She just broke down crying, thanking God, just thanking God over and over . . . that he was okay and that he was coming back home," said Ransom.
CTV Toronto's Jim Junkin reported that the mother was at work when her son went missing. She had hired a babysitter at the time, according to media reports.
Ransom added that young Kamren is a "beautiful baby" who is easy-going and much-loved by family members.
"He's just always smiling, always loving. He's amazing. He's infectious -- he smiles, you have to smile with him," she said.
Earlier in the day, the case was described as a missing persons incident. But by Saturday afternoon, police had launched a criminal kidnapping investigation.
Police didn't reveal who gave them the tip about the boy's whereabouts, but witness Care Ellis said she spotted a baby and a teenager on Friday night just steps from the family's apartment complex.
Ellis said the teen appeared to be distraught, and the sleeping baby wasn't properly dressed for the cold temperatures.
"She looked really messed up. She was all over the place . . . a bit ill-looking," Ellis said.
"The baby didn't even have a blanket. That kind of disgusted me," Ellis said. "He had basically a jacket, shoes, its clothing on, no blanket, nothing covering the baby. It was very windy out there."
As police searched for the child Saturday morning, mother Cunningham-Samuel pleaded for her son's safe return in an emotional statement to reporters.
"All his clothes are gone. All his formula's gone. All his diapers are gone. My son is gone," Cunningham-Samuel said.
"It's been 24 hours since my son has been missing and he needs to come home. He needs his mom."
An Amber Alert wasn't issued, despite an overhaul that was made to the system earlier this fall. The changes were made following the abduction and death of eight-year-old Tori Stafford.
The changes were intended to give police greater leeway for sounding the alarm during the critical first hours after an abduction.