Cyclists protest removal of Jarvis Street bike lanes
The Canadian Press
Published Monday, November 12, 2012 6:08PM EST
Last Updated Monday, November 12, 2012 9:47PM EST
TORONTO -- Toronto's battle with cyclists over bike lanes on Jarvis Street continues.
Work to scrape away the white bike lane lines began Monday morning but was soon called off after four protesters staged a sit-in.
The protesters say the bike lanes have made the street safer for cyclists but others, including Mayor Rob Ford, argue the loss of a drive lane has slowed down traffic.
City council voted last year to remove the Jarvis Street bike lanes and put in new lanes on nearby Sherbourne Street.
A final effort last month to save the lanes was unsuccessful.
The centre drive lane is expected to return to Jarvis Street by early December.
Activists have asked that the lanes remain until new bike lanes can be implemented on nearby Sherbourne Street.
Wayne Scott, from the Save Jarvis group, and Chris Drew, with the Church-Wellesley neighbourhood association, said they were concerned that taxpayers' money was being wasted to remove the lanes.
"This piece of paint may not look like much, but it has improved safety for drivers, residents and cyclists," Drew said.
The lane removal work is expected to resume Tuesday morning.
A protester rides along Jarvis Street on November 12, 2012 as city crews prepared to remove bike lanes on the street. (Mathew Reid/CP24)