'Workers don’t feel safe,' union calls for more protections for TTC staff against rising assaults
The union representing Toronto transit workers is part of a nationwide effort calling for more measures to protect employees after two TTC workers were violently assaulted earlier this month.
On Wednesday, ATU Local 113, the union representing Toronto transit workers, and ATU Canada held a news conference on the rising number of assaults against transit workers across the country.
“Let me be clear, workers don't feel safe and protected by their employer and something needs to be done immediately,” John Di Nino, president of ATU Canada, said.
Sixty-seven transit worker assaults were reported in the last quarter of 2021, according to data from the TTC.
Across Canada, there are more than 2,000 assaults reported every year by transit drivers.
ATU Canada is calling for a national task force to be created in partnership with all three levels of government and transit agencies across the country to combat the rise in assaults.
“We are looking for implementation of reporting and tracking systems to identify the real numbers of assaults,” Di Nino said.
“We require and need de-escalation training for our transit professionals. When they're put into a tough and vulnerable position. They need to know and have the tools of how to move away and de-escalate the situation,” he added.
The news conference comes after two TTC employees were attacked earlier this month.
On Feb. 16, a bus driver was involved in a fare dispute with a group of suspects and was subsequently stabbed multiple times with a knife.
A week earlier, another TTC worker was stabbed in the back at Dupont Station.
Both workers are currently healing at home.
Di Nino acknowledged that many, not all, assaults stem from fare disputes and that a conversation on mitigating these issues needs to be had.
“If we had a fare-free transit system and if we had dedicated operational funding that can mitigate some of those circumstances we might be in a more favorable position,” he said.
Marvin Alfred, president of ATU Local 113 which represents TTC workers, said a city-wide campaign should be created to raise awareness about the rise of attacks.
“...We need protections and we need to have a campaign of awareness to try to have preventative measures installed to assist transit workers and assist the public feeling safe on transit,” he said.
Mayor John Tory spoke with CP24 ahead of the news conference Wednesday morning and said that a better plan is needed to protect workers.
“I’ve certainly spoken to the TTC CEO and he and I both agree that we should be looking to make sure that there are some practices that can better protect our operators from the kind of danger that they sometimes face from people who are engaging in violence,” he said.
TTC officials met with ATU Local 113 on Tuesday and said they are committed to regular communication to ensure the safety of its workers.
“We take every report of assault and abuse seriously and encourage our staff to report them all. Through increased reporting, we can identify trends, causes and other information that we then use to continually improve our protection and response activities,” the TTC said in a statement.
Di Nino said that employers need to recognize that assaults are critical injuries, and that the court should use its ability to impose maximum penalties when a transit worker is assaulted in the line of duty.
“When we sign up to drive a boss or work in the maintenance facilities we don't sign a letter that says we're okay with an assault. Just like any other safety practice within the work location, the employer needs to take reasonable measures to mitigate the risk to our transit professionals on the front lines.”
Di Nino added that the use of personal protective gear should be considered.
“We need more personal protective equipment for our operators. Some municipalities are looking at things like slash or stab preventing vests. It's something that we need to consider and look at all avenues on how we can mitigate the risk,” he said.
The TTC said its workers are trained on conflict avoidance and de-escalation, including how and when to call Transit Control for emergency support.
“We currently have safety barriers, cameras, radio and non-audio equipment (push-button alerts) on every vehicle to assist in prevention, deterrence and response,” the TTC said.
Di Nino noted that the union is not considering job action in response to the rise in assaults, but that the union would support its members if they choose to do so.
“This is not a strike mandate, and I want to be absolutely clear, but I will say that if our members choose to invoke provisions under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, we will support them on those initiatives.”
ASSAULTED TTC WORKERS TELL THEIR STORIES
Three TTC workers attended the news conference and shared their stories of being a victim in an unprovoked attack.
Anna, who has been a TTC transit operator for 12 years, said she was assaulted while driving a bus overnight on Sheppard Avenue West in 2020.
“The man used the handset, the phone, ripped it right off the console and used that as a weapon to assault me over and over again. Hit my face and my head numerous times,” she said.
Anna suffered a broken orbital bone during the attack, which resulted in facial deformities around her eye.
Daniel, a TTC subway operator, said he was in his uniform riding a subway to work in 2021 when he was attacked.
“All of a sudden I get smashed in the face. I see a bright light. I get pushed to one side. I ended up on my back. This guy's on top of me. He hit me a few times, I don't know how many (times) and I suffered dental damage. I have a severe ankle sprain that physiotherapy has helped me with. I have a torn ACL that this Friday I'm getting surgery for,” he said.
Nicole was also on her way to work in uniform when she was assaulted in 2017.
“I was drinking my coffee like I always do every morning and somebody came from behind, hit me. I lost consciousness for a few seconds and I started bleeding,” she said.
“And to this day, they didn't catch the person. And I'm still here, but I had to move work locations because of it. I'm still suffering from it, I have anxiety because of it.”
Toronto Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Six police officers are in hospital with gunshot wounds and two suspects have been killed following a shooting at a bank in Saanich, B.C., on Tuesday.
Witnesses recount what they saw after police officers engaged in a shooting with armed suspects at a bank in Saanich, B.C., on Tuesday morning. Two suspects are dead and six officers are in hospital with gunshot wounds.
After five years in the role, John Horgan announced on Tuesday afternoon he plans to step down as premier of British Columbia and has asked his governing party, the NDP, to hold a leadership convention later this year.
Ukraine's President Volodymyr Zelenskyy accused Russia on Tuesday of becoming 'a terrorist' state carrying out 'daily terrorist acts' and urged Russia's expulsion from the United Nations.
Donald Trump rebuffed his own security's warnings about armed protesters in the Jan. 6 rally crowd and made desperate attempts to join his supporters as they marched to the Capitol, according to dramatic new testimony Tuesday before the House committee investigating the 2021 insurrection.
A scathing letter from an RCMP communications manager released Tuesday says RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki referred to direct pressure from the federal public safety minister to release firearm details in the days after the Nova Scotia mass shooting.
Airbnb has codified a global policy that prohibits guests from hosting parties or events on all listed properties.
Ghislaine Maxwell, the jet-setting socialite who once consorted with royals, presidents and billionaires, was sentenced Tuesday to 20 years in prison for helping the financier Jeffrey Epstein sexually abuse underage girls.
The federal Liberal government has agreed to provide sensitive cabinet documents to the inquiry examining its use of the Emergencies Act during the "Freedom Convoy" protest.
A coroner's report released Tuesday is calling on Quebec to teach new drivers to open their car doors with their right hand in order to prevent dooring incidents with cyclists.
A 26-year-old man has been ordered to undergo a mental health assessment after prosecutors allege he fatally stabbed his stepfather and seriously wounded three others this weekend. The victim was lawyer Raymond Hebert.
A multi-vehicle collision near Joliette has killed one person and sent several others to hospital, police say.
Huron County OPP are on scene of a serious single vehicle car crash southwest of Hensall
'A little bit dumbfounded': Family questions why siblings can’t be together at same French immersion school
With limited spaces in French immersion programs, the Thames Valley District School Board is finding itself having to remind families there’s not enough room for everyone.
OPP in Oxford County are investigating after human remains were found in Zorra Township.
The family of a Black four-year-old who was removed from school by police has filed a lawsuit against the Waterloo Catholic District School Board seeking $1 million in damages for what they says is the board's discrimination and negligence.
Every morning, when Karli Chomick would drop her children Savanna and Ryder off at St. Timothy Catholic Elementary School in Kitchener, she would do the same thing: give them a hug and a kiss, then tell them to be kind.
Ira Needles Boulevard is closed between Highway 7/8 and Highview Drive.
On Tuesday, the federal government announced $2.6 million for improvements to taxiways, a runway and lighting at Sudbury's airport.
Five projects in North Bay are receiving money from the federal government through the New Horizons for Seniors Program.
A $2 million operation designed to help startup businesses in Sudbury has opened its doors. It’s being described as a hub for innovation, creative thinking and collaboration.
Ontario's police watchdog is investigating after Ottawa police officers shot and killed a man and injured a woman while responding to the stabbing deaths of two women.
Former OC Transpo general manager John Manconi faced intense questioning as he testified at a public hearing in the Ottawa Light Rail Transit Commission.
A jury at a coroner's inquest into the deaths of three women murdered by their former partner is recommending that Ontario formally declare intimate partner violence an epidemic and establish an independent commission dedicated to eradicating it.
The ArriveCan app appears to be staying in place for now with the Minister of Public Safety saying it may be utilized beyond the pandemic.
Flyers mailed out with the final tax-bill featuring Windsor council’s recent accomplishments but boasting photos of the mayor are stirring up debate, with some calling the leaflets “unethical.”
A man is facing charges after allegedly assaulting a cab driver before robbing him at knife point.
Police in Barrie are investigating after five trucks with push-button start technology were stolen in one night.
A 70-year-old woman has died after collapsing while in the water in Wasaga Beach.
The mastermind of an elaborate Ponzi scheme that cheated hundreds of people of tens of millions of dollars was sentenced Tuesday in a Barrie, Ont. courtroom.
A scathing letter from an RCMP communications manager released today says RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki referred to direct pressure from the federal public safety minister to release firearm details in the days after the Nova Scotia mass shooting.
Several workers are injured after part of a building under construction collapsed in Moncton, N.B., Tuesday morning.
The body of an 82-year-old woman who was reported missing from Sainte-Anne-de-Kent, N.B., has been found, according to RCMP in New Brunswick.
Alberta Finance Minister Jason Nixon says the final number on the 2021-22 fiscal year, which ended on March 31, is a $3.9-billion surplus.
'Appreciation and gratitude': Toronto couple thank Calgary fire crew for treating and transporting daughter to hospital
A Toronto couple expressed appreciation and gratitude for the fire fighters who treated and transported their three-year-old daughter to Children's hospital over the weekend.
The Calgary Airport Authority and its partners are preparing for the busiest summer travel season since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Two people were taken to hospital in critical condition late Tuesday afternoon after vehicle and scooter collided in St. Boniface.
A new invasive species in Clear Lake has Parks Canada taking steps to prevent damage to the aquatic ecosystem.
A program giving inmates a chance to get an education while serving time in Manitoba’s Stony Mountain Institution is looking to expand, according to the Correctional Service of Canada.
The premier of British Columbia has announced plans to step down, but will remain on the job until the provincial NDP can choose his successor.
A vigil was held on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside Tuesday for Noelle O'Soup, an Indigenous girl whose body was found there a year after she went missing.
Janette and Michael Chapman died during the fire that devastated Lytton last year. Their grieving son is still looking for answers.
Parents of 2012 HUB Mall murder victim fear Supreme Court decision could lead to shorter sentence for son's killer
The Supreme Court of Canada struck down a law passed by the former Stephen Harper Conservatives that allows a judge to increase parole ineligibility periods for offenders who commit multiple murders. Now there’s fear it could mean sentence “discounts” for other mass murderers.
Edmonton is moving forward with a plan to improve snow and ice clearing on roads and sidewalks, but it could cost homeowners an extra three per cent in taxes over three years.
One person is dead after a crash north of Redwater on Tuesday.