Removal of five historic trees on Osgoode Hall grounds postponed
Five historic trees at Osgoode Hall will remain standing for now.
The trees, believed to be hundreds of years old, were slated to be cut down on Dec. 5 to make way for an archeological assessment of the site before construction begins for the Ontario Line.
- Download our app to get local alerts on your device
- Get the latest local updates right to your inbox
However, the Law Society of Ontario (LSO) confirmed Tuesday that the removal of the trees had been postponed.
The governing body said in a statement that it welcomes the “temporary reprieve.”
“Thanks to the efforts of community members, stakeholders and partners who have raised concern over the removal of five trees from the historic grounds of Osgoode Hall, Metrolinx has now agreed that this removal is not necessary to facilitate an archaeological assessment for the Ontario Line station Metrolinx proposes for the site,” LSO said.
The group added that it is looking forward to the findings of an independent review by the City of Toronto on the site and that it “will continue discussions to pursue all reasonable options to lessen or eliminate the impacts of Ontario Line development on Osgoode Hall and its grounds, while balancing the complex needs of Toronto and the region.”
Osgoode Hall is seen in Toronto on Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2019. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Colin Perkel
Metrolinx said in a statement that it found an alternative method that would accommodate archeological work at the site before the trees are removed.
The Queen Street West and University Avenue property is the future site of Osgoode Station. It is one of the 15 stops in the planned 15.6-kilometre Ontario Line, which will run from Exhibition Place to the Ontario Science Centre.
Mayor John Tory said last week that he wants to see the city conduct an independent review before any trees are removed from Osgoode Hall.
“We would expect that report will be public, and we further expect that Metrolinx will discuss all its plans publicly before any work is undertaken,” the mayor’s office said in a Nov. 22 statement.
“Mayor Tory has a mandate from voters to get transit built, including the Ontario Line, but he will be advocating throughout this process for Metrolinx to be respectful of the communities around these projects.”
Meanwhile, the cost of building the Ontario Line has nearly doubled from initial estimates, according to provincial documents.
In 2019, it was pegged at $10.9 billion with a completion date of 2027. However, recent documents from Infrastructure Ontario suggest that the price of building the Ontario Line could balloon to $19 billion.
Also, the line won’t likely open to the public before 2031.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
WHO emergency declaration call based on virus spread and variants, Dr. Bogoch explains
The World Health Organization (WHO) is set to decide Friday, whether the COVID-19 pandemic still qualifies for an international emergency declaration title— a decision that will involve factoring in how the virus and its variants are impacting countries around the world, says an infectious disease expert.

Thousands of Maritimers still without power after Thursday storm
Thursday’s wet and windy storm has knocked out power to thousands of people in the Maritimes, most of which are in Nova Scotia.
Newly discovered asteroid makes one of the closest approaches of Earth
An asteroid the size of a box truck made one of the closest passes of planet Earth ever recorded.
Russian warship armed with advanced missiles sails into western Atlantic in strategic 'chess game'
In an unusual move, the Russian Defence Ministry broadcast that one of its newest warships, the Admiral Gorshkov, had tested the strike capabilities of a hypersonic Zircon missile in a virtual drill.
Canadians fighting in Ukraine, despite no monitoring from government, speak out on war and loss
On Feb. 27, 2022, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said his country needed fighters, and foreigners were welcome to join the front line in the defence against Russian aggression. Some Canadians were among the first to answer the call.
Home Depot gave personal data to Meta without valid customer consent: watchdog
The federal privacy watchdog says Home Depot shared details from electronic receipts with Meta, which operates the Facebook social media platform, without the knowledge or consent of customers.
Provincial governments not jumping to act on tighter alcohol warning guidelines
Politicians in charge of provincial and territorial liquor laws aren't hurrying to adopt or promote newly updated guidelines that advise a steep drop in Canadian drinking habits.
No more expensing home internet bills to taxpayers, Tory and Liberal MPs told
The federal Liberal government is joining the Opposition Conservatives in no longer allowing its members of Parliament to expense taxpayers for home internet services.
Slow-burning, independent Canadian horror film yields international success
The immersive, slow-burn experience viewers get from 'Skinamarink' is the antithesis of seconds-long videos seen on TikTok, a platform that helped create buzz for the low-budget Canadian horror film months before its release.