A 20-year-old man faces 11 charges in connection with the sexual assault of two women and a home invasion in northwest Toronto.

Toronto police confirmed that the suspect surrendered early Wednesday, walking into a local police station accompanied by his mother.

During a press conference Wednesday afternoon, Det. Sgt. Leeann Papizewski of the Toronto Police Sex Crimes Unit told reporters that the attacks appear to be random.

“We have no direct evidence to link the accused to the victims,” she said.

Papizewski said the release of clear, high quality photos of the suspect on a TTC bus likely prompted him to surrender to police.

“Once we put those images out, we had a great response from the media,” she said. “Once it was put on the news it was instrumental in having this male come forward. He obviously did see those images and his mother did see those images as well.”

She praised the joint efforts of community residents who contacted investigators with information, the TTC, local media and investigators in aiding with the investigation.

It is alleged that two women were sexually assaulted in their home on Monday morning after a man knocked on their door claiming he was selling newspaper subscriptions.

The man, who officers say was armed with a knife, forced himself into the home and proceeded to assault the 30- and 25-year-old victims. One of the victims was transported to hospital.

Multiple photos of the suspect were released after the violent home invasion and sexual assault on Woburn Avenue, near Avenue Road and Lawrence Avenue West.

Alaa Hejazi faces 11 charges including two counts of forcible confinement, sexual assault with a weapon and robbery. He is also charged with breaking and entering and threatening death.

Hejazi’s neighbours in the area near Jane Street and Sheppard Avenue told CTV Toronto how shocked they were to hear the news.

“I didn’t recognize him. Actually I’m surprised. It wasn’t until I saw the police today and saw the photo again that I recognized him,”said Haroon Walizadeh.

Hejazi is scheduled to appear in court Thursday morning.

With a report from CTV Toronto’s Austin Delaney and Janice Golding and files from The Canadian Press