Some Ontario teachers are refusing work over school COVID-19 concerns
Mary Fraser-Hamilton spent part of last week sitting in her car instead of teaching in her classroom.
The Brampton, Ont., drama teacher was one of 11 education workers in Ontario who initiated work refusals over COVID-19 safety concerns as students and staff members returned to in-person learning with less transparency about the virus in schools.
Teachers say they're concerned about lack of information on cases now that the province has cut back on testing and contact tracing, as well as ventilation standards and student mask quality. They consider individual labour action one of the last options they have to advocate for stronger safety standards in schools -- but remain worried that student safety issues are falling through the cracks.
“We aren't organizing or anything. We're all just fed up,” Fraser-Hamilton said in an interview.
People have a right to refuse work they believe is unsafe under Ontario's Occupational Health and Safety Act. Once reported, the Ministry of Labour dispatches an inspector to look into whether a hazard exists and, if so, what can be done to correct it. Investigations vary depending on the workplace and type of issue being raised.
Fraser-Hamilton initiated a work refusal on Wednesday, based on concerns about ventilation, student mask quality and adherence, lack of access to virus tests and contact tracing. She said she was also worried about the lack of a safety plan for lunchtime when students are unmasked.
By Friday, she was back in the classroom, after Ministry of Labour inspectors visited and determined that most of her concerns regarding student PPE standards weren't relevant to her individual safety as a worker, she said.
Fraser-Hamilton said the issue of ventilation is still being looked into and she's not ruling out another work refusal depending on what is discovered. In the meantime, she said she's frustrated that concerns over student masking don't fall under the ministry's purview.
“If my students can't be safe, I don't understand how anyone thinks that I can be safe,” she said. “That for me was the most frustrating part about it.”
There were 11 documented work refusals in Ontario's education sector over the week of Jan. 17, according to the Labour Ministry. Inspectors responded to them in boards covering schools in Peel Region, Simcoe County, Toronto and Hamilton-Wentworth.
A spokeswoman for the ministry did not speak to specific cases, such as Fraser-Hamilton's, but said one closed investigation was resolved internally and another four were found not to meet the criteria of a work refusal or unlikely to endanger the worker.
“The nature of the issues received involved COVID-19 safety precautions such as physical distancing, and contact tracing,” Ciara Nardelli said in an email.
The 11 education-sector refusals made up more than half of the total 18 pandemic-related work refusals that the ministry has investigated so far this month.
Between Jan. 2020 and Dec. 2021, the ministry said there were 53 virus-related work refusals in Ontario schools.
Work refusals are launched by individuals, not organized by unions.
But Ryan Harper, president of the Peel bargaining unit for the Ontario Secondary School Teachers' Federation, said members anecdotally appear more willing to take that action at this point in the pandemic.
“We have far weaker standards now in place in Ontario than what we had in December and at the same time, we have way more cases in the province,” Harper said in an interview.
“It just doesn't make sense to a lot of people that the provincial government would go ahead and remove whatever protective layers were in place in our schools at a time when we are most at risk of exposure to the virus.”
The government ordered a two-week period of remote learning this month, citing the likelihood of virus-related staff shortages from the fast-spreading Omicron variant. Classes resumed in-person this week but the province has stopped reporting information on virus cases in schools and PCR tests aren't available to most students and staff due to a restricted provincial testing policy.
Education Minister Stephen Lecce has maintained that schools are safe despite the recent policy changes, pointing to the availability of vaccines, three-layer cloth masks the province is offering to all students and rapid tests being offered to students and staff - though there wasn't enough supply for high school students to receive the tests last week.
Lindsay Pareja, who teaches English at a Mississauga, Ont., high school, also refused work last week.
Like Fraser-Hamilton, Pareja said she was discouraged that her concerns about student mask quality didn't appear to fall under the inspectors' scope. She has since returned to work while an investigation into school's ventilation system continues, an agreement she said was reached because the portable she teaches in has a HEPA filter installed.
She said N95 masks being provided to teachers by the province this month are an improvement, but she was disappointed that students haven't been given the same level of protection.
“What I've learned through this process that is kind of upsetting to me is that I really thought my job is to maintain student safety,” she said. “The Ministry of Labour doesn't see that as under their purview, so I feel really lost as far as, how do we protect kids?”
The Ministry of Education didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.
Despite the setback around her student safety concerns, Fraser-Hamilton said she was motivated to do something because she feels the government hasn't listened to union pushback throughout the pandemic.
“It really is boiling down to, what individual action can I take? Because that's the only thing that's left at my disposal,” she said.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 25, 2022.
Toronto Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
As the May long weekend kicked off, a massive thunderstorm in southern Ontario and Quebec brought strong wind gusts that knocked down trees, took out power and left at least four people dead.
The federal government is reporting a sharp rise in influenza in recent months, at a time of the year when detected cases generally start to fall in Canada.
Health officials in Toronto say they are investigating the first suspected case of monkeypox in the city.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says he will not be running in the race to pick a new leader of the United Conservative party.
The United Kingdom's former prime minister Tony Blair says Russian President Vladimir Putin's decision to invade Ukraine is an 'act of madness.' In an interview on CTV's Question Period airing Sunday, Blair said Putin doesn't appear to be the same man he knew in the early 2000s.
Roberta Drury, a 32-year-old woman who was the youngest of the 10 Black people killed at a Buffalo supermarket, was remembered at her funeral Saturday for her love for family and friends, tenacity 'and most of all, that smile that could light up a room.'
Why does smoke seem to follow you around a campfire? B.C. research scientist Kerry Anderson told CTVNews.ca the answer actually boils down to physics.
Some drivers in Toronto may be feeling on edge as Toronto is dealing with a rash of violent carjackings targeting mostly high-end vehicles.
The nightmares started last May, said Harvey McLeod, chief of the Upper Nicola Indian Band and a survivor of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School.
A series of storms ripped through southern Quebec Friday, unearthing trees, causing highway standstills and leaving hundreds of thousands without power.
Following demonstrations last weekend in Montreal where thousands walked through the downtown core in protest of Quebec's French-language laws, students in the Kanien'kehá:ka (Mohawk) community of Kahnawake are leading a walk of protest Saturday.
The debate surrounding Bill 96, as it is currently being publicized, misrepresents the demands of Indigenous communities. English is not a colonial language we wish to adopt. Indigenous languages are the languages we wish to speak, transmit, revitalize, nurture, and strengthen.
A short but powerful thunderstorm that came through Southwestern Ontario Saturday, killing at least one person and injuring others.
It was definitely a night to remember for people in attendance at Labatt Park on Friday evening after a reported gas leak forced the evacuation of the park during the season opener.
The flames were so intense from Thursday’s early morning fire in Hanover that Lisa Schnittker started grabbing her things to evacuate, fearing the flames would spread to her home.
Ontario Provincial Police are investigating a death in Brant County after a tree fell on a camping trailer on Saturday.
A severe thunderstorm caused extensive damage, fallen trees, downed hydro lines and power outages across Southern Ontario on Saturday.
It’s the first May long weekend since the City of Waterloo made changes to its fireworks bylaw and city staff said some residents are not obeying the new rules.
As part of this week’s royal tour, a northern Ontario MP reflects on meeting Prince Charles.
It has been two years since the Northern Ontario Railroad Museum and Heritage Centre in Capreol has been able to put on the Family Fun Big Truck showcase.
Over the next couple of weeks, a telephone survey will be conducted on behalf of the PHU as a follow-up to a survey that was conducted two years ago.
Two people are dead and at least two others are critically injured after a powerful thunderstorm ripped through Ottawa Saturday afternoon.
The city of Clarence-Rockland, to the east of Ottawa, has declared a state of emergency following a major storm that moved across eastern Ontario on Saturday.
OC Transpo says the O-Train Line 1 will be replaced by R1 bus service until further notice between Blair and Tunney’s Pasture stations.
Every day since the owner of Thanasi's Olympus Greek Restaurant in Windsor, Ont. announced he would be retiring, Nick Pontikis says the place has been packed like it would be on New Year's Eve.
On Friday, the International Union of Operating Engineers ratified a new three-year contract, ending the strike that started in late April.
On Saturday, a cruise with deep routes in the southern Georgian Bay area had its first voyage under its new identity.
The waters in cottage country were filled with Navy reservists on Saturday, but it wasn't because of any threat in the area.
This morning, the sun was still shining in the sunshine city as the local Farmers' Market kicked off its summer season.
A section of Dartmouth's Burnside Industrial Park was shut down Friday after a fire in a scrapyard triggered alerts and air quality warnings.
Environment Canada is advising New Brunswickers in Edmundston and Madawaska County are to watch for the development of severe thunderstorms Saturday evening.
A few dozen friends, family members, and strangers gathered in Spryfield, N.S., on Saturday to search for a teenager who disappeared three months ago.
'Won’t open them until we win': Flames fan hopes to pop Champagne bottles meant for '04 Stanley Cup run
It was almost exactly 18 years ago when Calgary Flames fan Shane Byciuk managed to sneak two bottles of Champagne into the Saddledome for Game 6 of the 2004 Stanley Cup finals.
A frost advisory was issued for most of central and southern Alberta by Environment Canada Saturday afternoon.
The Winnipeg River is expected to crest in early June, according to the Manitoba government.
Officers with the Winnipeg Police Service found the remains of eight dogs inside a freezer at a vacant Winnipeg home.
Firefighters are investigating the cause of a dangerous fire that briefly trapped a Vancouver-area man inside a Tesla.
A social media post is warning young women in Surrey’s Newton neighbourhood to be on high alert, after several have come forward claiming they’ve been followed.
Some British Columbians won’t be getting provincial rebates meant to offset soaring gas prices until the end of July, according to ICBC.
Family members remember one of the men killed in Chinatown this week as a kind and hardworking man, and hope that his needless death will lead to change.
Alberta Premier Jason Kenney says he will not be running in the race to pick a new leader of his United Conservative party.
The Calgary Flames know the recipe they want to follow in their Western Conference second-round playoff series with the Edmonton Oilers.