Police make arrest in Annex shooting death
Police say they have made an arrest in the July 25 shooting death of a man outside a popular Annex nightspot.
Sgt. Paul Sweenie of the Toronto Police Service's 14 Division told ctvtoronto.ca on Tuesday evening that police had someone in custody at the division offices and would be releasing more information shortly.
Asked if it was the suspect in the case, 22-year-old Marvin Jarrett, Sweenie said, "I believe so."
An arrest warrant had been issued for Jarrett. He faces charges of first-degree murder and attempted murder in connection with the death of Sebastien Herrera, 23. No allegations have been proven against him in a court of law.
Jarrett will be making a court appearance on Wednesday.
On the night of the shooting, Herrera had gone with his girlfriend to the Brunswick House, a popular student hangout in the Annex.
He returned to his car with his girlfriend for a cigarette. The car was parked in a laneway south of Bloor Street between Major and Brunswick Streets.
A gunman confronted them as they returned. He exited a vehicle, robbed Herrera of a crucifix necklace and then shot the victim in the stomach as he lay on the ground.
Herrera died in hospital of his injuries, becoming Toronto's 31st homicide victim of 2009.
Police had cleared a previous suspect, Jeffrey Larsen, 28, of no fixed address. He had surrendered to police and, after an interview, had charges withdrawn.
It is believed whoever shot Herrera had an accomplice driving the stolen car believed to be used in the incident.