The husband of a Toronto woman accused in the 2011 death of her disabled daughter says his wife is innocent.

Allan Ali, husband of accused Cindy Ann Sherry Ali, told CTV Toronto that he’s anxious to have his wife’s trial begin.

“I’m certainly looking forward to this trial starting. Let’s not forget that in the past there have been cases where mothers have been convicted and they’ve had to rescind all these charge. So we are certainly looking forward to having this start,” said Allan Ali.

“I believe my wife is innocent.”

Allan Ali made his comments on Wednesday, after his wife had her charges upgraded to first-degree murder from manslaughter. She was also granted bail.

Hesaid the ordeal has been difficult for his entire family.

“It is devastating. You can never get over the loss of a child,” he said. “And to add insult to injury, you can never get over the fact that after a lengthy period of time this is what they’ve come up with.

“We’re just trying, as a family to put things together, to pull things together. This,… it is affecting us negatively. We’re just trying our best to keep it together.”

Cindy Ali’s bail was set at $100,000 with a $50,000 deposit. Family members and her pastor bailed her out, said CTV Toronto’s Tamara Cherry.

Conditions attached to her release require her to check in with police three times a week, remain in Ontario and live at the same townhouse where her daughter died. She must remain under house arrest, unless she’s in the company of her husband, pastor, sister or mother-in-law.

Cindy Ali, 42, was arrested after police were called to a home in Toronto’s Malvern neighbourhood on Feb. 19, 2011 and found a 16-year-old girl without vital signs.

Cynara Amiee Ali, who had cerebral palsy, was taken to hospital and died the next day.

The accused had told police that, earlier that day, two armed men had forced their way into the home. One man stayed with her daughter, she said, while she was forced to go with the other man, opening doors for him in the home while he rummaged through the home searching for a specific object.

She claimed that Cynara lost consciousness during the supposed home invasion.

Cindy Ali was originally charged with manslaughter, criminal negligence causing death, failure to provide the necessities of life, attempting to obstruct justice, public mischief and two counts of fabricating evidence.

Her next court appearance is scheduled for Nov. 19.

A post-mortem examination had previously been completed on Cynara, but the cause of death has not been released.

With a report from CTV Toronto’s Tamara Cherry