Guelph police find more needles in meat products
Authorities have now identified additional meat products sold at a No Frills supermarket in Guelph, Ont., that may have been tampered with.
On Thursday, Guelph police said they had found four more sewing needles in three packages of wieners, bringing the total number of needles found to 11.
In a press release, police said the needles were found in meat product packages in which "it was apparent that the airtight seal had been compromised."
Metal detectors were used to find the sewing needles, police said, and the food products were then "sectioned to determine the exact size and location of the needles."
Police said the meat products had not recently been tampered with. Instead, the needles had been found in packages that had been removed from shelves after the initial discovery of a needle in a meat product sold at the store.
The issue came to public attention after a No Frills customer returned a product that they believed had been tampered with. The supermarket then turned the matter over to Guelph police, who are investigating the matter with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
As a result of the ensuing investigation, the CFIA is warning the public not to consume the following products sold from the No Frills store, located at 191 Silvercreek Parkway, in Guelph:
- Schneiders Lunch Mate Stackers, Ham, 111 g, UPC 62000-31917, best before date April 29, 2009, lot code 9049
- Schneiders Lunch Mate Stackers, Turkey, 111 g, UPC 62000-31933, best before date May 8, 2009, lot code 9058
- Schneiders Lunch Mate Stackers, Summer Sausage, 111 g, 62000-11452, best before date April 29, 2009, lot code 9029
- Schneiders Smart Lunch, Traditional Style Crust Pepperoni Pizza, 351 g, UPC 62000-18466, best before date March 22, 2009, lot code 9021
- Schneiders Smart Lunch, Bagel Combo with cream cheese, 326 g, 62000-18469, best before date March 20, 2009, 9019
- Schneiders, Original Wieners, 450 g, UPC 0-620180-3, best before date March 4, 2009, lot code 03391
- Schneiders, Light 55% Less Fat Wieners, 450 g, UPC 62000-63681, best before date April 16, 2009, lot code 03692
- Schneiders, Original Juicy Jumbos, 450 g, UPC 62000-15806, best before date March 27, 2009
- Schneiders, Hot 'n' Spicy Juicy Jumbos, UPC 62000-15822, best before date April 10, 2009
- Schneiders Smart Lunch, Fajita Combo Chicken & Mozzarella, 351 g, UPC 62000-18467, best before date April 3, 2009
- Schneiders Lunch Mate, Chicken Dunkers - Ketchup, 109 g, UPC 62000-18475, best before date April 6, 2009, lot code 9036
No injuries have been reported as a result of the needles found in the meat products.
Customers of the Guelph store are being urged to check their purchases and report anything suspicious to police.
Anyone with information about the incident is being asked to contact Const. Kevin King at 519-824-1212 ext 222. Anonymous tips can be left with Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).