CFIA adds three more products to needle list
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency has added three more meat products to a list of foods sold at a No Frills supermarket in Guelph, Ont., that may have been tampered with.
Guelph police began investigating how seven deli packages wound up with sewing needles inside them, after No Frills reported that a customer returned a product that had been tampered with. The CFIA is working with Guelph police in their investigation.
The CFIA is warning the public not to consume the following products sold from the No Frills store, located at 191 Silvercreek Parkway, in Guelph:
- Schneiders Lunch Mate Stackers, Ham, 111 g, UPC 62000-31917, best before date April 29, 2009, lot code 9049
- Schneiders Lunch Mate Stackers, Turkey, 111 g, UPC 62000-31933, best before date May 8, 2009, lot code 9058
- Schneiders Lunch Mate Stackers, Summer Sausage, 111 g, 62000-11452, best before date April 29, 2009, lot code 9029
- Schneiders Smart Lunch, Traditional Style Crust Pepperoni Pizza, 351 g, UPC 62000-18466, best before date March 22, 2009, lot code 9021
- Schneiders Smart Lunch, Bagel Combo with cream cheese, 326 g, 62000-18469, best before date March 20, 2009, 9019
- Schneiders, Original Wieners, 450 g, UPC 0-620180-3, best before date March 4, 2009, lot code 03391
- Schneiders, Light 55% Less Fat Wieners, 450 g, UPC 62000-63681, best before date April 16, 2009, lot code 03692
- Schneiders, Original Juicy Jumbos, 450 g, UPC 62000-15806, best before date March 27, 2009
- Schneiders, Hot 'n' Spicy Juicy Jumbos, UPC 62000-15822, best before date April 10, 2009
No injuries have been reported as a result of the tainted meat.
Customers of the Guelph store are being urged to check their purchases and report anything suspicious to police.
"It is not known if any other products or any other stores have been involved or targeted as this appears to involve one single location," police said in a news release Wednesday afternoon.
Authorities say they are also working closely with officials from Loblaw, the parent company that owns No Frills, in the investigation.
Anyone with information about the incident is being asked to contact Const. Kevin King at 519-824-1212 ext 222. Anonymous tips can be left with Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222 TIPS (8477).