Rob Ford releases more 'Ford Nation' videos online
Published Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:30PM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:27PM EST
Mayor Rob Ford and his brother, Coun. Doug Ford, released another series of online videos from his YouTube channel “Ford Nation” on Tuesday.
Six new videos were posted on the mayor’s YouTube page showing the Ford brothers discussing issues ranging from the city budget and proposed subway extension to the Olympic Games in Sochi.
In one video, the mayor personally names several opponents in the upcoming elections that he wants to see defeated. Those among his political hit-list include councillors Gord Perks, Janet Davis, Adam Vaughan, Mike Layton and Sarah Doucette.
“These people have gone out of their way to, I personally think, ruin Toronto, increase taxes, strip me of my powers,” he said in one video.
“It’s time to put up or shut up and I’ve had enough of it -- they wanted the war, they’re going to get the war,” he added.
Coun. Doucette told reporters she is actually honoured to be on the mayor’s hit-list and says she has received positive feedback from residents who have thrown their support behind her campaign in response to Ford’s attack.
“It’s ridiculous, it’s childish. Just because we don’t vote the way the mayor wants us to vote, we shouldn’t be on a hit-list,” she told reporters outside the mayor’s office.
“We were voted in by our residents and we are here to represent out residents, not what the mayor wants us to do.”
There were only a handful of councillors safe from mayor Ford’s wrath including allies Frank Di Giorgio, Frances Nunziata, Vince Crisanti and Anthony Perruzza.
Ford also addressed the recent controversy surrounding the pride flag at city hall and his request to have the flag removed during the Olympic Games.
“This is about the Olympics, this is about supporting our athletes, this is not about your sexual preference,” Ford said.
“I am not homophobic… I take offence when people say that to me. This is Canada, our Canadian flag should be up there, not the pride flag,” he added.
Ford’s YouTube series faced criticism earlier this month after his press secretary used the mayor’s official email account to promote the online series.
Integrity Commissioner Janet Leiper spoke to Ford about the incident last week, telling the mayor she preferred that the videos not be connected to the mayor’s office in any way.
“We spoke to the integrity commissioner,” Doug Ford told CP24 at city hall.
“She gave us advice that she’d rather not see that done through the mayor’s office, so we’re going to follow the integrity commissioner’s advice,” he said.
With files from CP24