Mayor Rob Ford released from hospital
Published Thursday, August 9, 2012 9:24AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, August 9, 2012 6:39PM EDT
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford was released from hospital Thursday afternoon after an infection triggered his asthma, leading to a two-day hospitalization.
Speaking to TSN radio after his release, Ford said he was ready to be back at city hall again Friday.
“It was just an allergic reaction to something in my esophagus and I couldn’t breath, so it freaked me out for a bit, but I’m back in fighting form and I’ll be at work tomorrow,” Ford told the sports radio station.
Ford admitted himself to Humber River Hospital late Tuesday night.
A release issued by the mayor’s press secretary Wednesday said Ford has suffered an “adverse reaction to food,” which irritated his throat and stomach and triggered his asthma.
Ford’s mother, Dianne Ford, spoke to reporters Thursday before her son was released. She thanked citizens for their support.
“On behalf of the Ford family, we really, truly appreciate all the phone calls we’ve got, the concerns, the support, really, really has been wonderful and we sincerely appreciate it,” she said.
Ford’s brother, Coun. Doug Ford, also spoke to reporters earlier in the day, saying that his brother was making a speedy recovery.
“The doctor said he should be released today and everything seems to be all right,” he said. “The doctor said he’s strong, strong heart, he feels good. He has an infection in his throat, but he’s good to go. He’s sitting there, returning phone calls and asking for the Toronto Sun for his football picks.”
On Twitter, the mayor’s communications assistant, Isaac Ransom, confirmed that Ford was released.
“Thanks to everyone at Humber River. Mayor has left, in good spirits, good health and ready to get back to CH [city hall],” Ransom said.
Sources told CP24 that Ford was resting at his Etobicoke home Thursday afternoon.
This isn’t the first health issue to send Ford to hospital during his tenure as mayor.
Last year, Ford was hospitalized for a kidney stone.
Ford, along with his brother Doug, also launched a public weight-loss challenge earlier in the year that they called “Cut the Waist.”
Ford cited health concerns as one of the reasons he wanted to lose weight.
The challenge was largely a failure for the mayor, who lost a total of 17 pounds, falling well short of his 50-pound goal.
His brother, Doug, lost 35 pounds during the challenge.
Speaking to reporters Thursday, Doug Ford said that his brother’s weight was still a concern, but that he was otherwise healthy.
“Rob has to focus on losing a few pounds, but what Rob has going for him, is his age,” Doug Ford said. “As the doctor said, he’s young. He has a strong heart. He’s, physically, a strong guy.”