An unlicensed home daycare in Vaughan, where a toddler was found without vital signs, had a prior complaint and had previously been found with too many children in its care, CTV Toronto has learned.

A two-year-old child from Toronto was found without vital signs at a home near Dufferin Street and Hwy. 407 on Monday evening, according to York Region police.

Paramedics attempted CPR, but the child was pronounced dead at the scene.

Ontario’s coroner’s office is investigating the cause of death, which is yet to be determined, while the Ministry of Education is looking into the daycare.

Two investigations into the death are currently in the works, according to Colleen Gareau, communications manager for York Region’s community and health service.

“The Ministry of Education is looking into whether this daycare was meeting its legislative requirements as a daycare,” Gareau told

According to York Region, home-based unlicensed child care providers can look after a maximum of five children under the age of 10, in addition to their own.

Gareau could not say how many children were at the home on Monday evening.

But one neighbour told CTV Toronto that he had often seen a large number of children being dropped off at the daycare.

“The parents will come in the morning, drop the kids off, and then the school bus will come and pick them up from here,” neighbour Barrington Johnson said.

A Ministry of Education spokesperson told CTV Toronto that its staff received a complaint about the daycare in November 2012. At that time, seven children under the age of 10 were located on the premises.

The operator of the daycare was ordered to reduce the number of children under the age of 10 to comply with the law.

After the child was found on Monday night, public health officials investigated the home. They found health hazards related to food safety and infection prevention, but there is currently no indication that these hazards led to the toddler’s death.

The other children who were inside the daycare at the time of the death have not been quarantined, an official with York Region public health told CTV Toronto.

The daycare has been forced to close as the investigations take place.

With a report by CTV Toronto’s Ashley Rowe