A deer that spent the morning sauntering around downtown Toronto before plopping down for a rest at the foot of a highrise building, was Tasered by police officers trying to relocate the animal.

However, the deer is alive and in good health after its brush with the law on Tuesday.

The takedown happened in full view of dozens of media outlets and curious onlookers.

"Wow, you've got half the city of Toronto out here looking for a deer!" laughed Diane Brerton. "It's bizarre!"

"It's kinda cool. I'm from the Maritimes, and you never see a deer like this in the city," added Linda Ferrier, another onlooker

"It's amazing, absolutely amazing, so I came prepared," she said, referring to the small pair of binoculars with her.

Other people took photos and video. Many speculated on how the animal managed to wander into the heart of one of Canada's most urban areas.

 The Toronto police Emergency Task Force first tried using a tranquilizer on the animal but the shot startled the deer from her resting spot and she began to run towards the street.

That's when police Tasered the animal in order to bring her under their control. Dozens of police and animal control officers then surrounded the animal and trapped her with a net before placing her in a van.

A veterinarian checked out the deer before she was released back in the wild.

The female deer was first spotted Tuesday morning just after 7 a.m. at Union Station strolling among hundreds of bewildered passersby.

Witnesses also reported seeing the doe at Queen and Bay Streets before she walked over to Dundas Street and University Avenue, just blocks away from Toronto police's 52 Division.

The doe eventually plopped down behind some some shrubs at the foot of a building on Chestnut Avenue, near Edward Street and Dundas.

Police set up a wide perimeter around the building, keeping the crowd of people who gathered to watch and traffic at a disstance so as not to startle the animal.

An officer at the scene told reporters police were afraid the animal might pose a danger to public safety and that the perimeter was put up to keep both the animal and passersby safe.

By 11 a.m., when the deer hadn't moved from her resting spot, Toronto police employed the tranquilizer.

"Obviously you want to do your best to protect the animal, but the same time, you want to make sure members of the public suddenly didn't become frightened and run out into traffic," Supt. Hugh Ferguson told reporters.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Janice Golding