Road closures for Pan Am Games prep, torch relay
The Pan Am Games torch relay route for Thursday, July 9 is shown. (Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games)
Several Toronto roads will be temporarily closed as the Pan Am Games torch nears its final destination downtown.
The Pan Am torch is reaching the end of its 41-day journey, after making stops in Calgary, Halifax, Richmond, B.C., Winnipeg, Ottawa and dozens of other communities.
The flame will start the day at Mount Dennis Public Library, and will wind its way from the York neighbourhood south to Toronto City Hall downtown. It will make a total of 10 stops on Thursday:
- Mount Dennis Public Library, 1123 Weston Rd. - 10:20 a.m.
- Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, 1001 Queen St. W. - 12:05 p.m.
- West End YMCA, 931 College St. - 1:40 p.m.
- Christie Pits Park, 779 Crawford St. - 2:15 p.m.
- Varsity Stadium, 299 Bloor St. W. - 3:55 p.m.
- Legislative Assembly of Ontario, 111 Wellesley St. W. - 4:15 p.m.
- Ryerson University, 60 Carlton St. - 4:47 p.m.
- CIBC, 436 Church St. - 5 p.m.
- Athletes Village, Canary District - 6:04 p.m.
- Nathan Phillips Square, 100 Queen St. W. - 7 p.m.
During the relay, Toronto police warn of the following rolling road closures:
- Southeast on Weston Road from Eglinton Avenue West to Rogers Road
- Eastbound Rogers Road continuing onto Old Weston Road
- Eestbound St. Clair Avenue West to Keele Street
- Southbound Keele from St. Clair Avenue West to Dundas Street West
- Eastbound Dundas Street West from Keele Street to Roncesvalles Avenue
- Southbound Roncesvalles Avenue to Queen Street West
- Eastbound Queen Street West to McCaul Street
- Northbound McCaul Street to Dundas Street West
- Westbound Dundas Street West to Augusta Avenue
- Northbound Augusta Avenue to College Street
- Westbound College Street from Augusta Avenue to Dufferin Street
- Northbound Dufferin Street from College Street to Bloor Street West
- Eastbound Bloor Street to Devonshire Place
- Southbound Queen's Park Circle West to Wellesley Street
- Eastbound Wellesley Street from Queen's Park Crescent East to Church Street
- Southbound Church Street to Carlton Street
- Southbound Yonge Street from Carlton Street to Queen Street
- Eastbound Queen Street East from Yonge Street to Sumach Street
- Southbound Sumach Street from Queen Street East to Front Street
- Westbound Front Street from Sumach Street continuing onto Wellington Street East to Bay Street
- Northbound Bay Street to Queen Street
On Friday, the torch will start at Toronto's Pearson International Airport, making two stops before coming to rest at Ontario's Celebration Zone at the Queen's Quay Terminal ahead of the Pan Am opening ceremony.
In addition to the torch relay, part of Lake Shore Boulevard will be closed Thursday mornings as triathletes familiarize themselves with the course. Lake Shore will be closed between Strachan Avenue and Parkside Drive from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.