One woman is dead and several people injured after a front-end collision between a TTC bus and a cube van in Scarborough Tuesday.

The crash occurred just after 11:30 a.m. near the intersection of Steeles Ave. and Middlefield Rd. when the cube van struck the 53 Steeles Avenue East bus.

According to Const. Clint Stibbe, the deceased – 52-year-old woman -- was a passenger on the bus at the time of the collision.

“The individual was on board the bus waiting to get off the bus as I understand it,” Const. Clint Stibbe told reporters.

She was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police confirm that there were a total of 13 people injured. At least one other person – a women who had just stepped off the bus – has life threatening injuries after being struck by the cube van.

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford extended his condolences to the victim.

"On behalf of City Council and all Toronto residents, I want to extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the deceased at this difficult time,” said Mayor Ford in a statement. "I am very saddened to hear about this tragic accident."

The mayor also wished a quick recovery for everyone injured in the accident.

One witness who was on the bus was visibly shaken by the crash.

"All I can remember is this impact and the glass and everything flying and I just plunged forward," Hanan Nur told CTV`s Ashley Rowe. "I remember screaming and everybody just running out, and I just followed because I didn't know what else to do – my knees were hurting and all I could think was get out get out the bus might explode."

There has been no confirmation on the identities of the bus driver, the truck driver or the deceased.

Both drivers were taken to hospital.

Stibbe said the bus was stopped at the time of the collision, and reconstruction crews are trying to determine how the cube van, which was travelling eastbound, ended up colliding with the bus.

A hydro pole was also struck in the collision, which caused a power outage in the area. Toronto Hydro is on scene trying to restore power, but it might take until at least 2 a.m. Wednesday morning.

TTC CEO Andy Byford visited the scene as soon as he found out and said there were many people who witnessed the crash.

"My understanding from talking to the police services just now is that there were very good witnesses from the other side of the intersection, so I think we will get to the bottom of what happened pretty quickly," Byford said.

Byford also visited the driver of the bus in hospital and said he has neck and back pain and is wearing a neck brace.

"He is traumatized by what's happened, and understandably so," Byford said.

Video from the bus has been released to police.

Witnesses say the driver of the cube van may have been on his cellphone, but that has not been confirmed by police.

The intersection of Steeles and Middlefield will remain closed through the afternoon as police investigate. The 130 Middlefield bus is diverting in both directions.

With reports from CP24`s Jackie Crandles and CTV Toronto`s Ashley Rowe