One person is dead and five others have been injured after a spate of gun violence in Toronto Tuesday evening.

Late Tuesday, a man arrived at St. Michael's Hospital suffering from multiple gun shot wounds. He died on the operating table.

One man was taken into custody in connection with the case but police have not said whether he is facing charges. He was arrested in downtown Toronto near Jarvis and Adelaide Streets.

The victim's name has not been released by police.

Earlier in the day, four other people were hurt in gunplay in separate incidents.

One man was shot in the face on Mount Olive Drive, near Finch Avenue and Martin Grove Road at around 9 p.m. The 26-year-old is recovering at Sunnybrook hospital.

Police also received a report of a teenaged girl being hit in the leg with a bullet after gunshots rang out on Tretheway Drive, near Eglinton Avenue and Black Creek Drive.

At around 6:30 p.m., two teens were shot outside an apartment building in east-end Toronto on Teesdale Place.

The boys, ages 17 and 16, were shot after allegedly getting into an argument with another group of teens.

One shooting victim suffered a gunshot wound to the face, but his injuries are considered minor. The second teen suffered serious injuries after he was shot in the back and arm.

The suspects reportedly fled on foot Tuesday evening. Police have three people in custody but there is no word on what charges, if any, they face.

Duty Insp. Art Little of the Toronto Police Service said it was fortunate no one else was injured, given the number of shots fired and the number of people outside.

Many of the apartment complex's residents were outside enjoying the pleasant weather.

"The guy just came from the van and started talking to them, then all of a sudden just opened his coat and started shooting," Anne-Marie Caudet, who called 911 and claims to know one of the shooting victims, told reporters.

"My stomach just turned to see him laying on the floor like that," said resident Jen Carter, who claims to also know one of the shooting victims.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Galit Solomon