A 71-year-old man is in hospital in stable condition after a one-alarm fire on Palmerston Avenue near College Street.

Emergency responders received a call at 6:39 a.m. after neighbours noticed smoke in a second floor bedroom window.

Firefighters had to force their way into the home and rescue the man, who lives alone, after a fire broke out in the bedroom.

Fire crews knocked down the fire on the second floor and the man was taken to Toronto Western Hospital with unknown injuries.

District Chief Dan Sell told CP24's Cam Woolley that there was not a working smoke detector in the home.

"Had the occupants next door not noticed… this could have been a fatality," he said.