Father charged after disabled CO monitor sends parents, toddler to hospital
A police car is parked outside the scene of an apparent CO poisoning in Toronto early Wednesday, Nov. 25, 2015. (Michael Nguyen / CP24)
Published Tuesday, December 1, 2015 11:45AM EST
Last Updated Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:43PM EST
A homeowner will be charged for allegedly disabling a carbon monoxide detector, a week after three people were sent to hospital with apparent poisoning from the gas.
Firefighters were called to a home on West Wareside Road, in the area of Rathburn Road and Renforth Drive, at approximately 2 a.m. on Nov. 25.
A resident had called 911, telling the dispatcher that the members of the family were in and out of consciousness. Two adults and a toddler had to be rushed to hospital, and a firefighter also needed treatment for CO exposure.
At the time, Toronto Fire Capt. David Eckerman said the CO detector had gone off the week before, but that one of the residents had taken the battery out because it kept going off.
Following an investigation, Toronto Fire said the father will be charged with a violation of the Ontario Fire Code. The penalties for violations can reach fines of $50,000 and/or a year in jail for individuals. Corporations can face fines of up to $100,000.