Family of woman killed in bus crash filing lawsuit
Published Wednesday, September 7, 2011 2:10PM EDT
The family of a woman killed in a TTC bus crash says they plan on suing the Toronto Transit Commission and the drivers involved in last week's fatal collision.
The widower and daughter of Jadranka Petrova said on Wednesday that they intend to file a statement of claim against the TTC, the driver of the bus and the driver of the truck involved in the crash.
Petrova died after a TTC bus she was riding on collided with a crane truck on Lawrence Avenue East, near Don Mills Road, on Aug. 30. Thirteen other passengers were injured in the crash.
Petrova's body will be returned to her homeland Macedonia to be buried. Her son still lives in that country.
Petrova's daughter Irena, 20, said on Thursday that she had a feeling her mother was dead after hearing about the crash.
Irena said her father had tried to assure her that the mother of two had taken an earlier bus, but she somehow knew she was in the crash.
"When I saw the bus I was screaming and crying," Irena told CTV Toronto. "I felt it, I don't know, I just felt (that she was on the bus)."
The dead woman's husband Donco Petrova, 44, told CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry that he grew up with Petrova and spent every day with her by his side.
Her death has left him devastated and alone, he said.
More details about the Petrova family's lawsuit are expected to be released next week.
Toronto police confirmed last week that a small quantity of drugs was found among the belongings of the bus driver.
A drug test was not administered after the crash and police say there was no indication the 52-year-old driver was under the influence at the time of the collision.
The TTC said a separate investigation conducted by the transit commission found no evidence of impairment on the part of the operator.
With files from CTV Toronto's Tamara Cherry. Follow her on Twitter at @tamaracherry.