Mayor Rob Ford remains in hospital after food reaction
Published Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:18AM EDT
Last Updated Wednesday, August 8, 2012 7:56PM EDT
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford remains in hospital Wednesday after suffering an “adverse reaction to food,” according to a statement released by the mayor’s press secretary.
Ford was admitted to hospital late Tuesday after feeling unwell and missing a morning press conference launching privatized garbage collection in the city’s west end.
Reporters at the time were told he was suffering from a “bug,” but a release issued Wednesday afternoon said the mayor had undergone a number of tests and it seems his health problems were aggravated by something he ate.
“Doctors have identified an irritation in the mayor's throat and stomach, which have aggravated his asthma and he is being treated for those conditions,” said the release.
The mayor is in good spirits and is resting comfortably, the release said.
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford’s press secretary George Christopoulos previously released a statement Tuesday night, saying the mayor was under observation in hospital as a precautionary measure and expected to make a full recovery.
Early last year, Ford was hospitalized while suffering from a kidney stone. At the time, his press secretary said he continued talking to constituents and remained “open for business.”
This latest health issue caused Ford to miss the announcement about private garbage pick up in some areas of the city.
“He was very disappointed to miss the event, a major milestone in the privatization of residential waste pick up in Toronto,” said the release. “It was the fulfillment of a promise he'd made during the campaign and he very much wanted to be there.”
With files from CTV Toronto's Matthew Coutts