Woman in hospital, some pets killed after west-end house fire
Chris Kitching, cp24.com
Published Thursday, October 17, 2013 10:59AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, October 17, 2013 12:24PM EDT
A house where a woman was injured and several animals were killed in a fire had no functioning smoke alarms, Toronto police say.
Police said there are three smoke detectors installed in the house on St. Helens Drive but none were working when the fire broke out Thursday at about 12:45 a.m.
The fire was caused by a candle in the basement, police told CP24.
A 42-year-old woman smelled smoke and fled the animal-filled house, leaving her 33-year-old brother and 65-year-old mother inside.
The brother climbed onto the roof and was rescued by fire officials, while the mother was removed and transported by paramedics to Toronto Western Hospital, where she was receiving treatment for smoke inhalation, police said.
Two cats and a bird were among the animals that died in the fire. The surviving animals, including at least one cat, a guinea pig and two snapping turtles, were picked up by Toronto Animal Services.
Firefighters administer oxygen to an animal that was rescued from a house fire early Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013.
This article powered by CP24.com