What you need to know about the Greenbelt as MPPs return to Queen’s Park
While MPPs were on their summer break, two scathing reports were released detailing a lack of supervision, transparency and leadership when it came to the development of the Greenbelt.
The reports suggested that certain developers with ties to the housing ministry were given an unfair advantage throughout the process.
The backlash following this revelation resulted in resignations, a cabinet shuffle and ultimately, the province’s reversal of its decision.
- Download our app to get local alerts on your device
- Get the latest local updates right to your inbox
Here is what you need to know about the Greenbelt as the fall session at Queen’s Park begins:
HOW DID THIS ALL START?
In November 2022, the Doug Ford government announced it would be removing 7,400 acres of land from the Greenbelt and adding an additional 9,400 acres of land elsewhere. The majority of the land added to the Greenbelt was already protected under other means.
The announcement came as a surprise to opposition parties and Ontario residents, as the premier had previously promised not to touch the protected land.
Since then, media reports have suggested that some developers who purchased land before November may have been tipped off about the decision.
WHAT IS THE GREENBELT?
The Greenbelt is about two-million acres worth of protected greenspace throughout Ontario’s Greater Golden Horseshoe, including the Niagara Escarpment and Oak Ridges Moraine. It includes farmland, forests, wetland and multiple river systems.
A hiker starts on a high graded hill climb at the Rouge Urban National Park, in Toronto on June 15, 2021. Ontario is proposing to remove land from the Greenbelt, an area created to protect environmentally sensitive lands from development, in order to build at least 50,000 new homes, while adding new land to it elsewhere. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Giordano Ciampini
It was established in 2005 to help manage urban sprawl, ensuring natural heritage and water resource systems are permanently protected.
WHY WAS LAND REMOVED FROM THE GREENBELT?
The government said the decision was necessary as part of the Progressive Conservatives’ pledge to build 1.5 million homes in 10 years.
It all began in June 2022, when the Premier’s Office gave then-Housing Minister Steve Clark a mandate letter that said his office should “complete work to codify processes for swaps, expansions, contractions and policy updates for the Greenbelt” that fall.
It also asked that a compressive plan be created to expand and protect the Greenbelt.
Over the summer, the integrity commissioner found Clark’s office interpreted this request as direction to develop and implement policy rather quickly after the Progressive Conservatives were re-elected.
Clark’s Chief of Staff at the time, Ryan Amato, was told to look into it.
However, detailed reports released over the summer show that Amato took meetings, spoke with developers and put forward a policy that would see 15 sites ultimately removed from the protected land without much supervision.
HOW WAS THE LAND CHOSEN?
The province’s auditor general and the integrity commissioner found in their reviews that a lack of supervision and leadership led to certain developers with ties to the housing ministry gaining an advantage in the selection process.
According to the auditor general, 14 of the 15 sites chosen for development were hand-picked by Amato.
The remaining site was proposed by a six-person team of public servants tasked with assessing land sites for possible removal.
A map provided by the Ontario government shows what areas of the greenbelt will be removed and added.
According to the report, Amato altered criteria for land removal when the majority of the sites would not be approved within those parameters and implemented a three-week timeline for the assessment.
About 92 per cent of the land removed from the Greenbelt was requested by developers the chief of staff dined with at a Sept. 14, 2022 Building and Land Development Association’s Chair’s dinner.
The auditor general found that Amato accepted packages from developers at the dinner with information about Greenbelt sites.
The chief of staff told the auditor general that he did not immediately open them, and that instead he added them to a stack of packages on his desk from other developers and their representatives for review. However, the report notes the developers “stood to significantly benefit financially by having received preferential treatment through the use of a biased process that was non-transparent to the public.”
The final list of 15 sites was whittled down from a list of 22 locations–despite hundreds of land removal applications.
Of those, 21 were provided directly by Amato, the auditor general said.
WHO IS MR. X?
A character known as “Mr. X” was broadly discussed in the integrity commissioner’s report as a major player who helped connect developers with the housing minister’s chief of staff.
The unregistered lobbyist will be subject to a separate lobbying investigation by the integrity commissioner, and has not been officially identified by his office.
However, sources have told CTV News Toronto that Mr. X is likely former Clarington Mayor John Mutton.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford (right) and former Clarington mayor John Mutton (left).
According to the report, Mr. X was contracted to work on getting 86 acres of land north of Nash Road out of the Greenbelt.
Integrity Commissioner J. David Wake’s report said that “Mr. X” stood to gain a $1 million payday if the land was removed from the Greenbelt— something that could violate lobbyist rules that prohibit payment based on the results of lobbying.
The report suggests that Mutton had lunch with staff within the housing ministry, and had approached them to speak further at golf and Raptors games.
He also gifted at least two politicians $1,500 tickets to the PC Leader’s Dinner in March, records show.
Mutton has not responded to interview requests from CTV News Toronto.
WHAT WERE THE CONSEQUENCES OF THESE REPORTS?
Housing Minister Steve Clark, as well as his chief of staff, resigned as a result of the reports.
The Premier’s Office accepted Amato’s resignation weeks after the auditor general released her report. It also comes a little over a week after Ontario’s integrity commissioner confirmed they had received a request to investigate his handling of the file.
Clark put in his notice in early September after trying to ride out the fallout from the two reports.
In a letter posted to social media, Clark says the housing crisis “demands someone who is not a distraction from the important work that needs to be done.”
“Although my initial thought was that I could stay in this role and establish a proper process so that these mistakes don’t happen again, I realize that my presence will only cause a further distraction from the important work that needs to be done ad that I need to take accountability for what has transpired,” he wrote.
His resignation sparked a summer cabinet shuffle. Former Long-Term-Care Minister Paul Calandra has since been thrown into the hot seat as the new housing minister, while MPP Stan Cho will take over the long-term care file.
The integrity commissioner recommended that Clark be officially reprimanded for “failing to oversee the process by which lands in the Greenbelt were selected to development.”
This will occur within the first few days MPPs return to Queen’s Park, as the legislature is required to address the integrity commissioner’s report in 30 days. A reprimand has no physical consequences or penalties.
Weeks later, Minister of Public and Business Service Delivery Kaleed Rasheed resigned from his position and the PC caucus after records revealed contradicting accounts of a Las Vegas trip, investigated by the integrity commissioner.
The Premier’s Office confirmed his resignation in a short statement, adding however if the integrity commissioner clears Rasheed he would be given the chance to return to caucus.
“A new Minister of Public and Business Service Delivery will be named in the coming days,” the office added.
WHY DID FORD REVERSE THE GREENBELT DECISION?
After meeting with the Ontario PC caucus on Sept. 21, Ford apologized to Ontario for breaking his promise on the Greenbelt. The premier said all lands removed from the Greenbelt will be returned and he will work with affected developers on what to do next.
The selection process of what parcels of land would be removed from the Greenbelt left “too much room for some people to benefit over others,” according to Ford.
“It caused people to question our motives. As a first step to earn back your trust, I’ll be reversing the changes we made and won’t make any changes to the Greenbelt in the future,” the premier said.
WHAT IS THE RCMP DOING?
The RCMP is also probing the Ford government’s handling of the Ontario Greenbelt and deciding whether to launch an investigation.
In mid-August, the force said it would “review and assess the information received and will take appropriate action as deemed necessary.”
Officials added the probe was still in its infancy.
Ford told reporters last week he does not “get involved in any police investigation at all.”
“They have a job to do. I’m going to continue moving forward to build homes for the people of Ontario,” the premier added.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN NEXT?
Ford could not yet provide any details about how much the reversal will cost, telling reporters the housing minister is currently “working through those details.” However, the premier promised to make that information known to the public when it is available.
As for whether or not legal action could be brought forward from developers, Ford said he “can’t predict the future.”
“My main goal is to work with the builders, because they are part of the solution,” the premier said. “I can’t determine what the builders are going to do.”
With files from CP24’s Codi Wilson
The Shopping Trends team is independent of the journalists at CTV News. We may earn a commission when you use our links to shop. Read about us.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
A Minneapolis store clerk died after a customer beat him and impaled him with a golf club, police said. The 66-year-old clerk was attacked Friday at the Oak Grove Grocery, a small neighborhood store in a residential area near downtown Minneapolis. A 44-year-old suspect is jailed on suspicion of murder.
Mounties in Surrey, B.C., say the two-month-old child who was the subject of an Amber Alert Saturday afternoon has been found safe.
Shohei Ohtani has opted to stay in southern California, and the Toronto Blue Jays have missed out on landing a generational talent.
Severe storms that tore through central Tennessee killed six people Saturday and sent about two dozen to the hospital as homes and businesses were damaged in multiple cities.
Kate Cox, a mother of two in Texas, became pregnant again in August but soon after learned devastating news: Her baby has a fatal condition and is likely to either be stillborn or die shortly after birth.
Omar Mansour says every phone call with his family in the Gaza Strip might be the last.
A group of foreign ministers from the Palestinian Authority, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye are in Ottawa today for a quietly planned meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly to discuss attempts to end the Israel-Hamas war.
A jury has found Ibrahim Ali guilty of killing a 13-year-old girl whose body was found in a Burnaby, B.C., park in 2017.
Nuclear fission may play key role in the creation of heavy elements when neutron stars collide: study
New scientific models are suggesting that nuclear fission may play a key role in the creation of heavy elements in the universe—which, if true, would be the first example of nuclear fission occurring in space.
After sitting through the night, early Saturday morning, members of the Quebec legislature finally passed Bill 15 to reform the health-care network, voting 75 to 27.
A Pointe-Claire naturopath has been ordered by the courts to pay $125,000 in fines for the illegal practice of medicine and for leading people to believe that he was authorized to perform acts reserved for members of the Quebec College of Physicians.
Quebec's English-language universities have made what they call an 'improved' proposal to the Legault government regarding tuition fee increases for new international students and students from other Canadian provinces.
A London, Ont. man is facing charges in relation to a hit-and-run investigation.
One by one, London Jr. Mustangs’ hockey players dropped off presents for those in need this holiday season.
One person is facing criminal charges in connection to an alleged attempted murder investigation at a home in Grey Highlands.
Police are investigating a shooting in a Kitchener neighbourhood that sent one person to hospital.
A truck hit an ION train on Saturday morning, shutting down a Waterloo street.
A Christmas tree farm in Cambridge, Ont. has developed a new type of netting that’s better for the environment.
A driver is accused of travelling more than 70km/h over the speed limit on Highway 11 on Friday, provincial police say.
Shohei Ohtani has opted to stay in southern California, and the Toronto Blue Jays have missed out on landing a generational talent.
A 65-year-old driver from L'Île-Cadieux, Que. is facing multiple charges following an incident on Highway 11 Wednesday evening.
Ontario Provincial Police say charges have been laid following a "major assault" early Saturday morning in Arnprior.
Pro-Palestine supporters gather in Ottawa to call for permanent ceasefire as bombing in Gaza continues
As the Israel-Hamas war enters its third month, pro-Palestine groups gathered in Ottawa for the ninth straight weekend to call for a ceasefire in Gaza.
The holiday season is in full swing in the nation's capital with Christmas just over two weeks away.
Windsor Police Service held a RIDE check in Windsor and Amherstburg Friday night
Brian Masse, the NDP MP for Windsor West, participated in non-stop voting for more than 30 hours on a Liberal spending bill.
CTV News has learned the tower on the Canadian side of the Gordie Howe International Bridge has now reached its full height.
OPP seized a large quantity of hard drugs after stopping a vehicle in the wee hours of the morning in Orillia.
Thanks to the hard work of their snowmakers, Blue Mountain officially opened their ski hills on Thursday.
Ontario Provincial Police is seeking the public's assistance in solving a break-and-enter in Midland.
An early morning fire has shaken the homeless encampment at Grand Parade in downtown Halifax.
The Queens District RCMP has arrested a 20-year-old man after a fatal collision in P.E.I. left three people dead and three others seriously injured.
The New Brunswick government has given the American Iron and Metal Company (AIM) a deadline of December 22 to offer a response to the release of a task force review into a massive scrapyard fire that happened in Saint John this September.
On the second day of Hanukkah, Temple B’Nai Tikvah marked it by going green, lighting a menorah using its array of solar panels.
With just over two weeks to go until Christmas, Calgary small business owners are hopeful to cash in on much-needed sales to stay afloat.
Calgary police launched their holiday checkstop campaign Friday night.
With inflation still high and the cost of living skyrocketing, some vendors at craft and Christmas bazaars are struggling to market their markets. This is prompting many small businesses in Manitoba to make a plea to purchase locally.
A newly-created non-profit group is attempting to give out three times more holiday hampers this year, as the high cost of living leaves many Manitobans struggling this holiday season.
'Different ways they can support': Dream Book gives Manitobans the chance to make kids' dreams come true
The Dream Factory has launched its annual holiday campaign, offering Manitobans the chance to sponsor a dream for a child facing a life-threatening illness.
A winter storm brought a wind warning to B.C.'s capital and snowfall warnings for parts of its largest metro area Saturday.
The Union Gospel Mission served around 3,000 plates of turkey at its annual Christmas meal on Vancouver's Downtown Eastside Saturday.
A winter storm that brought wind, rain and – in some places – snow to the South Coast led BC Ferries to cancel several sailings on major routes Saturday.
No Canadians made it to the podium at Saturday night’s FIS World Cup Big Air Snowboard event at Commonwealth Stadium. But the night saw some snowboarding history being made.
A pilot project dealing with problem properties in Edmonton has been made permanent due to its success.
Saturday, the woman's parents said their daughter's death was the result of "a complete mishandling of the tools available to law enforcement in the application of dealing with mental health issues."