'We just don’t have clear information': Nearly 250 GTA child care centres have applied for $10 a day program
Nearly 250 child care centres have signalled their intent to opt into the federal government’s $10-a-day program since applications opened across most of the Greater Toronto Area last week but hundreds of others remain on the sidelines with some saying they need more details in order to come to a final decision.
The City of Toronto, York Region and Peel Region all opened their application portals for entry into the Canada-Wide Early Learning and Child Care Agreement last week, joining Durham which was among the first municipal service managers to begin accepting applications back on June 6.
CP24.com has confirmed that 172 of Toronto 1,000 licensed centres have applied to opt into the program so far, while five have formally opted out.
In Durham 30 out of 104 licensed centres have applied to opt into the program so far, while in Peel 22 out of 199 licenced centres have submitted their applications to opt in and in York Region 21 out of approximately 500 licensed centres have done so.
A City of Toronto spokesperson told CP24 this week that they are “pleased with the number of applications received” so far given that centres have until Sept. 1 to apply and will “continue to work with operators and provide support so that they can make an informed decision.”
However, some operators are raising concerns about committing to slashing fees without critical information about funding levels, particularly in 2023 and beyond.
“In order to make a fundamental change in a business, to go from a revenue stream where parents pay fees and you have a business plan based on that to a revenue stream where you are reducing your fees gradually over time you have to figure out how it is going to work and we just don’t have clear information on that,” Maggie Moser, who operates the Blossoming Minds Learning Centre on Danforth Avenue, told CP24.com this week.
“There is no center at least among the independent centers that that we know of that have received a written contract. Some municipalities have told the centres that they won’t be receiving a written contract and some have said they won’t have anything for them until later on in the fall. It causes a problem in that you cannot make business decisions in an un-businesslike manner.”
Ontario’s $13.2 billion agreement with the federal government is structured in such a way that it puts the onus on municipalities to enrol licensed centres and agencies into the new system and distribute money, which will then be used to reduce the fees being charged to parents – by 25 per cent as of April 1 of this year and by 50 per cent as of Jan. 1 of next year.
It is a unique arrangement in the context of the federal program owing to the fact that Ontario has long designated municipalities as “service managers, who are responsible for planning, funding and administering licensed child care services in their communities.
And it has some for-profit operators nervous.
Moser is a director with the Ontario Association of Independent Childcare Centres and says that right now the consensus among her approximately 1,000 members is that “by and large people cannot opt in,” because they would be risking “financial ruin” by committing to reducing fees upfront without certainty around funding levels going forward.
She also said that the deal doesn’t take into account some of the investments that for profit operators have already made in their centres, many of them funded by a combination of debt and investors.
“Even if they (the municipalities) paid every expense that we currently have, they will fund the gap between the reduced revenue and the expenses and that equals a net profit of zero,” she said. “So our centers have been funded by us, we did the investment, we put the hundreds of thousands of dollars into the buildings. We have mortgaged our homes and took out business loans, which we still have, and they want us to keep carrying those business loans and paying the mortgages but they are not part of the funding."
“They want to take our buildings for use now in the condition they're in after the investment of these hundreds of thousands of dollars to create the childcare center and they want to pay us basically for the day-to-day costs but not the long term costs which have been sunk into them. So as a business person you say ‘Well, why would I do that?’”
PARENTS TOLD REBATES WOULD BE ISSUED AS SOON AS MAY
When the Ontario government inked a deal with the feds to bring $10 a day child care to the province in March, becoming the very last province to do so, it promised that fees would be reduced by 25 per cent as of April 1 and that parents would start receiving rebate cheques as soon as May.
- Download our app to get local alerts to your device
- Get the latest local updates right to your inbox
But the rollout has been slower than many parents were led to believe and so far no centre in the GTA has even been formally approved to be part of the program.
Speaking with reporters at a press conference on Thursday, Premier Doug Ford expressed some frustration with the delays, noting that we “need to get this moving as quickly as possible.”
But he said that it ultimately “falls on municipalities” to get centres enrolled.
“They have to move forward. We're getting more and more people signing up but if they have any questions, by all means reach out to our ministry and they'd be more than happy to help them through it,” he said. “We have to get moving on this.”
MUNICIPALITIES RECEIVED FUNDING LAST MONTH
As part of the federal child care deal centres have until Sept. 1 to apply but would then be given an additional 60 days to actually pass on savings to parents, likely pushing fee relief to the late fall.
Speaking on background, a spokesperson for Minister of Education Stephen Lecce told CP24 that “information and webinars sessions to communicate details were held with key stakeholders,” beginning in March when the agreement was signed.
The spokesperson said that the initial round of funding, some $785 million, was then distributed to municipalities during the week of May 2.
They also pointed out that unlike “the vast majority” of bilateral agreements, the deal that Ontario reached with the feds allows for profit operators to participate in the program so long as at least 70 per cent of the subsidized spaces are operated by non-profit operators by the end of the agreement in 2026.
“Altogether, Ontario parents are now afforded with the options, benefits and supports for early years and child care services than anywhere else in the country,” a statement provided to CP24 notes.
Moser, however, remains skeptical.
She said that she does want to see the goal of the program – reducing the cost of childcare to an average of $10 a day by 2026 - accomplished and will meet with ministry of education officials next week to discuss some of the stumbling blocks preventing for profit centres like hers from opting in.
But in the meantime, she has a message for parents who may have been expecting imminent savings of hundreds of dollars a month. .
“The reason your local childcare center is not opting in is not because they don't want to but because they're not able to,” she said. “They're not able to afford the cost of opting in. It really is as simple as that.”
So far only 20 out of the 47 municipal service managers in Ontario have begun to formally accept applications to either opt into or out of the program.
They are as follows:
- Parry Sound
- Sault Ste Marie
- Greater Sudbury
- Prescott & Russell
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
With inflation on the rise and central banks poised to increase rates, CTVNews.ca speaks with experts on whether Canada will experience a recession, and if so, what it would look like.
For the second time in less than a month, a resident of Ashcroft, B.C., died while waiting for health care after having a heart attack mere metres from a local ambulance station.
A diving accident at 14-years-old left Brian Parker paralyzed from the chest down. Now at age 49, he's without the person who was caring for him full-time until just last week, after his 68-year-old mother was diagnosed with breast cancer.
Minister of Families, Children and Social Development of Canada Karina Gould is discouraging people from making fake travel plans just to skip the line of those waiting for passports.
Canada's average resale home price fell 4.5% from a year ago in July and was down 5.4% on the month as buyers continued to sit on the sidelines amid rising borrowing costs.
A large rally planned in Vancouver to protest the Coastal GasLink pipeline in northern B.C. blocked traffic Monday morning.
The federal government needs to do more to help thousands of Afghans who assisted Canadian Forces but remain trapped in Afghanistan a year after the Taliban seized Kabul, aid groups and opposition parties say.
British drug regulators have become the first in the world to authorize an updated version of Moderna's coronavirus vaccine that aims to protect against the original virus and the omicron variant.
The top executive at Pfizer, a leading producer of COVID-19 vaccines, has tested positive for the virus and says he is experiencing very mild symptoms.
Quebec health authorities are launching another COVID-19 booster vaccination campaign on Monday, targeting people living in CHSLDs and private seniors' residences (RPAs). The recommended interval between baseline vaccination and a first booster dose is three months or more, while the suggested interval between each subsequent booster dose is five months or more.
With one week to go before the start of the new school year, the CSQ is concerned that some CEGEPs will be unable to offer certain services and even some courses due to a lack of staff.
The next political party to form government in Quebec this fall needs to make a 'fiscal pact' with Montreal so that the metropolis can properly cope with an unprecedented level of homelessness, increasing gun violence, and to meet the city's green initiatives, Mayor Valerie Plante said Monday.
Antony Centeno-So, the man wanted for his alleged involvement in the murder of Devon Cherrey-Rooke earlier this month, is in the custody of London police Monday.
In serious pain, Randy Van Puyenbroeck had trouble sleeping. He was cycling with a group of members from the London Cycling Club on White Oak Road Sunday morning when he and a fellow rider were involved in a crash with a truck.
Dozens of animals have been killed in a barn fire in the Township of Mapleton, with officials saying 60 cows and four horses are dead.
With only a few weeks before classes begin, multiple students have been displaced after flames ripped through a house Sunday morning. Occupants were home at the time and were alerted by a quick-thinking bylaw officer.
An 87-year-old from Palmerston, Ont. is dead after a crash on Perth Line 91 just west of Road 140.
A 72-year-old downtown Sudbury businessman has entered the pool of candidates running for mayor in the City of Greater Sudbury, bringing the number of contenders to nine.
CTV News has learned one person has been taken to hospital after an early morning fire at a camp west of Sudbury.
A proposed correctional facility in Kemptville, Ont. has some residents concerned about how it might change the look of their small town and they are taking steps to prevent it from happening.
Addressing municipal leaders in Ottawa this morning, on the first full day of events at the Association of Municipalities of Ontario Conference, Premier Doug Ford said the 'strong mayor' powers he initially said would be granted to the mayors of Toronto and Ottawa will be expanded to other municipalities.
Windsor police say a suspect with a weapon has been shot by an officer.
Close to 100 people turned out to the Chatham-Kent Civic Centre on Monday for a flag-raising ceremony to mark the beginning of Pride Week 2022.
A Windsor man is reminding others some vacations are still a “calculated risk” after his recent Alaskan cruise left him with a 10-day quarantine and a nearly $5,700 hotel bill.
Five years after being found guilty of second-degree murder by a jury of eight men and four women, Terrence Barrett will have a new trial.
An off-duty York Regional Police officer faces charges for allegedly driving under the influence in Bradford West Gwillimbury.
Police are investigating a deadly collision in Oro-Medonte Monday afternoon.
Nova Scotia is reporting a rise in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations for the month of July, while the number of deaths decreased compared to previous months.
A person has died after police say a vehicle crashed and caught fire in Dartmouth Monday morning.
The supervisor of the Halifax Public Gardens says some of the "top minds" in arboriculture are working to save nearly 30 historic trees that were vandalized three weeks ago.
The death of a 63-year-old woman last Friday at a Strathmore care home was a homicide, said Strathmore RCMP in a release issued Monday.
Alberta's police watchdog has cleared the Calgary Police Service of any wrongdoing in their dealings with a man who died in custody back in 2020.
The Alberta Liberal Party announced Monday that there will be no new leader of the party.
A nurse who received her education in the Philippines and was later licenced to work in Ontario and Quebec has won an appeal to work in Manitoba, according to a notice of decision by the Council of the College of Registered Nurses of Manitoba, reviewed by CTV News Winnipeg.
Three people have been arrested after police officers executed a search warrant, which resulted in an armed and barricaded situation that lasted almost 10 hours.
Customers with Bell MTS may be dealing with some Internet and TV issues according to the telecommunications company.
A British Columbia woman who found herself suddenly $31 million richer says she plans to retire, but she's not sure what's next.
'Lost without her friends': Only duck to survive B.C. coyote attack starts following humans everywhere
The lone duck who survived a coyote attack on a B.C. farm was so bereft she started following the humans around – waddling close behind them as they went about their chores and waiting on the doorstep every time they went inside.
A disturbing note threatening to set fire to the tents and belongings of people sheltering along Vancouver's East Hastings Street has been taped up and handed out, triggering a police investigation.
The boy Mounties are searching for in a pond in Whitecourt, Alta., on Sunday has been identified as a 14-year-old from the Edmonton area. The teenager, identified by family as Hassan Mohamed, was last seen in the pond area of Rotary Park Outdoor Waterpark around 3:55 p.m.
A historic building in central Edmonton sustained an estimated $40,000 in damage after several windows were smashed earlier this month.
The government of Alberta is looking to draw skilled workers from Toronto and Vancouver to the province and launched its recruitment campaign Monday morning.