After more than 20 centimetres of snow was dumped on the Greater Toronto Area, city crews are continuing to clear the roads.

Although it appears all the main roads and highways have been plowed, crews continue to clear the side streets and sidewalks. They are expected to be finished by Tuesday morning.

"That should take us about 14 to 16 hours to complete. So well into (Tuesday) morning," a city spokesperson told CTV Toronto on Monday.

Meanwhile, city crews are on standby for more snow.

Environment Canada's forecast for Tuesday calls for two centimetres of snow. Periods of snow are also expected Wednesday.

The city estimates that the cost of this latest snowstorm is between $3 million and $5 million.

Highway 401 closure

Earlier on Monday, a section of Highway 401 had to be closed in Whitby due to a weather-related crash.

Eight vehicles collided on a stretch of the 401 near Brock Street at approximately 11:30 a.m.

The stretch of road was described as a "sheet of ice" by an Ontario Provincial Police officer at the scene.

So far, only minor injuries have been reported. The road reopened shortly before 2 p.m.

The Ontario Provincial Police also reported hundreds of collisions.

By 8 a.m., the OPP said there were more than 150 crashes in the city during the morning commute.

“(Drivers) are taking the exit ramps too fast. They are maybe changing lanes too aggressively and losing control,” Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said.

According to the CAA South Central Ontario, they received more than 2,800 calls for service by noon.

Transit and travel delays

GO Transit commuters were also affected by the Monday’s snowstorm. Nearly a dozen GO Transit trains were either cancelled or their routes modified due to signal and track issues.

Dozens of flights were cancelled on Monday morning as a result of the weather. At Toronto Pearson International Airport, 90 departures (12 per cent) and 93 arrivals (12 per cent) had been cancelled by 9 a.m.

Downtown, 19 arrivals and 15 departures had been cancelled at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

As a result of the storm, buses were cancelled for several schools in the Toronto area. Several schools, daycare centres and city buildings were closed in the GTA, and classes were cancelled at some colleges and universities.

The TTC also reported that some buses were diverting due to weather. Some of the 502 and 503 streetcars had to be replaced by buses due to weather-related equipment issues.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Collin D'Mello