Students, teacher taken to hospital after gas leak at Mississauga school
An ambulance responds to Allan A. Martin Sr. Public School in Mississauga after a students reported feeling ill from a gas leak Monday, February 11, 2013. (My Breaking News/ Diane Mrkalj)
Joshua Freeman, cp24.com
Published Monday, February 11, 2013 5:41PM EST
A teacher and 24 students at a Mississauga middle school were taken to hospital Monday after feeling ill following a gas leak at the school.
Emergency response services were called in after school staff noticed a gas smell at Allan A. Martin Sr. Public School near Ogden Avenue and Queen Elizabeth Way around 10:45 a.m., a representative from the Peel District School Board told CP24.
The school was then evacuated and firefighters came to the building to investigate the smell. The source was found to be a gas valve in a science lab which had been shut off before the firefighters arrived.
Students went back inside the building around 11:30 a.m. However some students said they were feeling sick, reporting having headaches and feeling nauseated.
An ambulance was called to the school and the students were then taken to hospital as a precaution. They were treated for minor symptoms.
The school board said a note would be sent home with the kids to explain the incident to their parents.
It’s not clear why the gas valve had been left open in the science lab.
This article powered by CP24.com