Spring seatbelt campaign results in 13,000 charges
Ontario Provincial Police laid more than 13,000 seatbelt tickets during this year's spring campaign, a sharp increase over last year.
About 1.1 million vehicles were checked across the province during the two-week campaign from April 16 to 30. Officers laid 13,367 charges.
Police laid 9,194 tickets during last spring's campaign, but officers checked more vehicles this year. Some 803,000 cars and trucks were stopped last year.
Police said there were 18 fatal crashes during the period of this year's campaign, and in 35 per cent of those cases, passengers were not wearing a seatbelt.
OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino said in a statement that while more than 90 per cent of motorists wear the life-saving device, "it's distressing to see that a small minority still doesn't get the message."
"Many of those deaths could have, and should have, been prevented," he said.
The fine for not wearing a seatbelt is $110 and two demerit points.