Ruby restaurant to close permanently after scare
A once-popular Scarborough restaurant at the centre of a food-poisoning scare will reportedly be closing for good.
The Toronto Star reported Monday that signs from both the owners of the restaurant and the building's owners posted on the door say the restaurant is out of business.
Health inspectors shut down the Ruby, a massive Chinese restaurant that specialized in dim sum, or Chinese brunch, on Oct. 7 following an outbreak of salmonella poisoning.
The outbreak left 22 people sickened and may have led to the death of an elderly person.
After failing a second inspection from Toronto Public Health on Oct. 9, the restaurant was to contact the agency by last Thursday to arrange another re-inspection if it hoped to be open for the weekend. However, it failed to do so.
The Ruby had been in business for 17 years near the intersection of McCowan and Finch Avenues.
The Star cited a source as claiming a pest control firm told the restaurant's three owners that controlling the restaurant's cockroach problem would require treating the entire single-storey plaza.