Privacy watchdog examining dossier City of Toronto compiled on homeless
Ontario's privacy watchdog is looking into the dossier of information the City of Toronto compiled on homeless people as it planned to clear a park where they lived last year.
The development comes after The Canadian Press revealed the inner workings of the city's months-long planning of its operation to clear parks of encampments that had popped up during the pandemic. The dossier kept notes on behaviours, health information and photographs of those who lived in the park, internal documents show.
"Our office has reached out to the City of Toronto to obtain further information about this matter," the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario said in a statement.
"Any affected individuals may make a privacy complaint to our office."
The commissioner's office noted it can also launch its own investigation if it suspects a privacy breach has occurred.
The city said it has responded to the privacy commissioner, saying the collection of personal information was in accordance with freedom-of-information laws. A city spokesman said it collected the information to better understand the "individual housing, health and supportive needs" as it sought to find a spot indoors for those living in encampments.
"The city has the discretion to collect the information as part of its law enforcement operations as well as ensuring that city services are directed to encampment occupants in an individualized fashion," Anthony Toderian said in an email.
He said the legal authority was granted by city council under the bylaw named "COVID-19 Response Update: Protecting People Experiencing Homelessness and Ensuring the Safety of the Shelter System."
"As the personal information was collected under a legal authority the use of this information would meet the requirements of the act," Toderian wrote.
Top bureaucrats planned the operation for months, internal documents obtained by activists through freedom-of-information laws and shared with The Canadian Press show.
On June 22, 2021, the carefully planned operation swung into motion before dawn at Trinity Bellwoods Park. Drones hovered above as city workers erected tents around several homeless encampments within the park.
There were 268 city workers there that day, the documents show -- including more than 100 private security guards the city hired -- along with dozens of police officers.
The clearing drew scores of activists and supporters to the park to defend those living there.
Several clashes eventually broke out between police and the homeless and their supporters. A battle erupted over a fence that supporters tried to take down while police fought to keep it upright. Another skirmish broke out when police unleashed pepper spray, which inadvertently hit several security guards, the documents said.
Police in riot gear moved in near the end of the day, once most of the crowd had dispersed, and cleared the park with force.
The city has said it called in police to clear the area because protesters prevented staff from doing their jobs and didn't leave when they were cautioned.
The city spent nearly $2 million on clearing encampments at three parks, including Trinity Bellwoods, last year.
The city also plans to hire security guards to monitor parks this summer.
In the lead-up to last year's operation, top city bureaucrats shared several detailed documents about the park.
In one titled "Trinity Bellwoods Park Analysis," a map of the park is marked with locations of the tents and structures.
A chart identifies each person living in the park by name along with a photograph of their tent and, in some cases, photographs of the encampment resident.
There are also notes on each person's behaviour, and how the city expects they would respond when asked to leave the park.
The documents upset some people who lived in the Trinity encampments at the time. They said they did not consent to city's collection of their personal information -- nor did they know the information was being collected.
David Naini, whose legal name is Navid Emanian, said he thought the information the city kept was "weird and creepy."
"I think it's the opposite of what they're supposed to be doing," the 57-year-old said.
In one entry, the city warns about a man -- all names and photographs are redacted in the released documents -- who was "most likely to escalate" and "has a large clutter surrounding encampment that he claims to make art with."
A former Trinity resident who is known in the community as j the letter believes that is about him. (He says his legal name, Jeremy Magyar, harkens back to his life before becoming homeless.)
"They did us dirty," he said.
"They were taking photographs of me, of my tent, numbering the tent, but never telling me what they were doing with that."
After he lost his tent at Trinity, he moved to a second encampment -- which was cleared by the city and police a month laterin another episode that turned violent -- and then a third.
At that point, the city shifted gears with a softer approach and offered him and several others living there permanent housing.
Now, dozens of his paintings line the walls, floors and ceiling in his apartment.
Still, he worries that without people living in highly visible encampments concerns facing the vulnerable -- including the collection of personal information -- will be swept aside.
"I kind of wish I was still on the forefront of being in a tent because I feel like they're just not going to take me seriously now," he said.
"I don't know if there's justice to be had. We don't have any rights."
This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 24, 2022.
Toronto Top Stories
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
The National Advisory Committee on Immunization is recommending booster shots this fall in advance of a possible future wave of COVID-19 in Canada.
A 20-year-old woman was fatally shot Wednesday night while she pushed her 3-month-old infant daughter in a stroller on New York's Upper East Side, police say.
A woman who was trapped inside a bank during a robbery and fatal shootout with police near Victoria on Tuesday says there is one question still plaguing her a day later: Why didn't the gunmen just leave with the money?
The federal government announced Wednesday all existing border restrictions to enter Canada will remain in place until at least Sept. 30.
Ukrainians are gradually returning to life a few months after Russian troops retreated from the northern Chernihiv region. Now, people are repairing homes, and the sound of construction tools fills the air. Volunteers from all over Ukraine, and from other countries, are coming to help because there is so much to do before another winter approaches.
Fallen R&B superstar R. Kelly was sentenced to 30 years in prison Wednesday for using his fame to subject young fans - some just children - to systematic sexual abuse.
Police in Saanich, B.C., say they continue to investigate the possibility that a "third suspect" was involved in a fatal shooting at a bank that left two suspects dead and six officers injured Tuesday.
Five months ago, the first 'Freedom Convoy' trucks rolled into Ottawa. After the federal government took the unprecedented step of invoking the Emergencies Act to end the protests, a series of inquiries and probes have been initiated. With the nation's capital bracing for more protests over the Canada Day weekend, CTVNews.ca takes a look at where the main commissions and studies stand.
Canadians flying out of the Montreal airport might be in for a bit of a shock this summer as the head of the Trudeau airport says airlines will "likely" be asked to cancel some flights — or even destinations altogether.
A social media campaign to help find a compatible stem cell donor for a four-year-old girl in Montreal is putting a spotlight on the lack of diversity in donor lists.
Ahead of the hustle and bustle of festival season in Montreal, Quebec health officials are asking people to stay vigilant amid rising COVID-19 numbers.
Crediton Road, just south of Exeter is closed between Airport Line and Ausable line following a collision, Wednesday evening.
A panel van went up in flames following a two-vehicle crash in Elgin County on Wednesday, police say the occupants were able to safely escape.
It was the last day of school for most elementary school students in the region and a time for students and teachers to look forward to summer.
A serious collision in Kitchener Tuesday has prompted calls for traffic controls to be installed at the off-ramps of Highway 7/8 onto Ira Needles Boulevard.
In the wake of the landmark Supreme Court decision south of the border, demonstrators in Kitchener showed up in support of abortion rights.
A 27-year-old man has died after a single-vehicle crash near Hensall on Tuesday evening, according to police.
Punya Pandey of Espanola says an article on climate change inspired him to create an app to raise awareness about the issue.
The Northern Lights Festival Boreal, Sudbury’s Summer Concert Series and Up Here Festival are promising an action-packed summer in the city.
The trial of a man charged with first-degree murder in the death of an Elliot Lake man got underway this week in a Sault Ste. Marie courtroom.
Anne-Marie Ready, 50, and Jasmine Ready, 15, died from stab wounds following an incident at a home on Anoka Street Monday night, police said Wednesday afternoon.
Longtime Ottawa entrepreneur, broadcaster and author Mark Sutcliffe is running to become the next mayor of Ottawa.
A retired Windsor firefighter is joining Windsor police in warning residents about a gift card scam after falling victim to one this past weekend.
A pandemic-inspired trend is encouraging people to pack their bags and jet off to the places they have missed over the past few years — but the owner of WindsorEats says it has him concerned about its negative impact on Windsor-Essex tourism.
The region is in for more hot and humid weather as a two-day heat wave is expected to take hold Thursday.
The emergence of the new BA.5 COVID-19 variant has seen case counts increase in each of the last two weeks in Simcoe County, with 44 new this week by Monday alone.
Businesses in The Blue Mountains are banking on a busy Canada Day long weekend and the first restriction-free summer season since 2019.
The City of Orillia is investing in attracting health care providers as looming retirements could mean thousands are left without a family doctor.
An RCMP officer who was among 22 people killed in the 2020 Nova Scotia mass shooting was remembered Wednesday during a regimental service in Halifax for her "fierce" character and brave actions.
The Saint John Sea Dogs are Memorial Cup champions once again.
A woman has been charged with impaired driving after she allegedly crashed a vehicle into a building in Sydney, N.S., and left the scene.
An expert at the University of Calgary says a float in a small Alberta town's annual parade made a mockery of some of the symbols the Sikh religion hold sacred.
The Calgary Police Service confirms a 16-year-old has been charged following an investigation into reports the teen had tried to hire someone to commit a murder for them.
Two trucks nearly plowed through the front exterior of a house in southeast Calgary Wednesday evening.
A four-year-old road project that cost the province a quarter billion dollars is already in need of repairs.
Canadian travellers are having to employ the 'hurry up and wait' practice at airports across the country lately according to new data. According to the Winnipeg Airport Authority (WAA), this impact isn't being felt to the same extent as other airports in the country.
'How could so much have been missed?' Family of disabled B.C. senior who nearly died of neglect speaks out
Regena Cameron remembers the shock of seeing cousin Jeanette in a B.C. hospital three years ago, after she was admitted in what a judge later called "an advanced state of neglect." Now, she is speaking out, hoping to prevent further suffering.
Authorities have announced charges against a B.C. RCMP officer who allegedly used his position to pursue "intimate relationships with women," both on and off duty.
Close to 100,000 kids who play soccer in B.C. could be sideline because of a power struggle off the field.
A man who insists he's still the leader of an Alberta separatist party says an effort to push him out, amid allegations of theft, is being led by "agents" who have infiltrated the board.
Damien Christopher Starrett was found guilty of killing his one-year-old son Ares Starrett and assaulting another child in a Fort Saskatchewan home on Nov. 23, 2019.
Thunderstorms over the Leduc region spawned a small funnel cloud Wednesday evening.