Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders says it is ‘only a matter of time’ before suspects are apprehended in connection with the brutal death of an American man outside a College Street bar on the weekend.

While speaking to reporters at an unrelated event on Monday afternoon, Saunders called the apparently unprovoked murder of 26-year-old Maryland resident Julian Jones “disgusting.”

“This particular homicide resonated right across the city,” Saunders said. “I was talking to quite a few people and this is not what Toronto is all about. So when you see something along these lines it does remind you that we’re in an urban city – 2.8 million people – but (by) the same token, it is not the day-to-day practices of Torontonians.”

According to police, Jones was visiting Toronto from Maryland to celebrate his friend’s bachelor party. He was out partying with those friends at Blind Tiger, a bar located near College Street and Manning Avenue, when he was attacked and brutally beaten.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Saunders would not divulge specifics of the investigation but said he has a “good feeling” it will have “a successful outcome.”

Investigators said they have obtained images of two suspects believed to be involved in the incident, as well as a group of seven to nine individuals who may have witnessed the act.

Investigators suggested that the images would be released early this week.

Saunders urged those involved to turn themselves in.

“Anyone that’s involved in it – get a lawyer and turn yourself in because this is a case where it’s a matter of time,” he said. “As each day progresses we’re getting more and more information and more evidence and you’re going to be apprehended.”

He went on assure Torontonians that the incident should not be considered reflective of the “safest city in North America.”

“This one, like I said, obviously strikes a note because of the fact that it appears the man came up from the states for what was a happy occasion and now his friends are going back with a friend that is now deceased as a result of what sounds like an unprovoked attack,” he said.

Jones was engaged to be married himself this spring in Niagara Falls.

As of Monday morning, a makeshift memorial of flowers and candles lined the sidewalk near the site of the murder.

Residents who live near the bar called the attack “ridiculous.”

“I found out about the fight when I went to work this morning,” one resident told CTV News Toronto on Monday. “It kind of just doesn’t sink in as something that makes any sense.”

“I’m wary if I’m walking around late at night, particularly when those night establishments are closing. There are groups of men that can be quite aggressive,”another resident said.

Anyone with information is asked to contact investigators.