Ontario launches review into workplace injury pay after Jamaican migrant workers win legal battle
The provincial government is reviewing how workplace safety claims filed by seasonal farm workers are handled following a years-long appeal by four Jamaican migrants who were permanently injured on the job.
The six-month review was launched on Sept. 22, the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB) confirmed in a statement to CTV News Toronto.
It will examine how Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP) employee claims are distributed – and for how long injured migrant workers can receive payments.
The probe follows an appeal launched by the group of workers, all of whom were permanently injured in separate workplace incidents on Ontario farms between 2006 and 2017, and told by the WSIB they were only entitled to loss of earnings benefits equal to 12 weeks or less after being sent back to their home countries.
In the case of a workplace injury, the WSIB offers reimbursement for a loss of earnings while off work – usually, for up to 12 weeks. A worker receiving Loss of Earning benefits gets 85 per cent of the difference between their pre-accident earnings and the amount that they are able to earn in “suitable and available” employment after the injury.
In their appeal, the workers argued they were entitled to greater compensation, as the toll of their injuries extends far past a 12-week timeline.
The workers won their appeal. In a Sept. 15 decision by the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board Appeals Tribunal, chair Rosemarie McCutcheon recognized the undisputed existence of systemic anti-Black racism and precarious employment entrenched in the Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program (SAWP), which arranges farmers, primarily from Jamaica and Mexico, to work in Canada for eight months.
According to one advocacy group, the decision has the power to set a precedent that could improve the lives of migrant workers.
“I think this is going to show that the system hasn’t worked,” Chris Ramsaroop with Justice for Migrant Workers told CTV News Toronto. “And it is imperative for the WSIB to address this and follow this process for other workers who are injured.”
‘A HARD ROAD’
By the time Leroy Thomas, a 48-year-old farmer from Jamaica, slipped on a wet tire while climbing a tobacco wagon, falling several feet onto the concrete below, he had been working seasonally in Ontario for 16 years.
The Sept. 14, 2017 incident left him with a strained lower back and a bulging disc, compressing a nerve, he explained.
“How am I going to survive? I have my family to take care of,” Thomas said after learning of his injuries.
Leroy Thomas, a 48-year-old farmer from Jamaica, worked at Ontario farms for 16 years. Toronto lawyer Maryth Yachnin has represented Thomas and the three other injured migrant workers since 2006 in their battle for comprehensive coverage.
“All of them have lost their livelihoods from the injuries they suffered at work, none have had any financial support on an ongoing basis from the Workplace Safety and Insurance Board, despite the fact that their injuries stopped them from returning to work,” Yachnin said.
After his injury, Thomas said his life began to crumble. He was sent back to Jamaica in November 2017, no longer able to work as a farmer in Canada or as a barber in his home country. His marriage fell apart, he said.
With mounting medical bills and no way to earn an income, he was no longer able to support his kids. At times, he says he didn’t have enough money to buy food.
“It’s devastating [...] It sends you into depression,” Thomas said. “It has been a hard road, a very, very hard road.”
On top of his physical injury, Thomas was diagnosed with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in 2019.
In Thomas’ case, the WSIB ended his benefits after he was deemed once again able to work. They said that he could theoretically work as a parking lot attendant in Ontario. But after his injury, he had to move back to rural Jamaica, where that job and its accompanying salary do not exist.
A farm in Norfolk County, Ont. is seen in this 2020 file photo. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Nathan DenetteThe WSIB decision was based on the idea that if he could work as a parking lot attendant, he would be making approximately the same salary as his pre-accident job, and as a result, there would be no wage loss. But in reality, the tribunal found that wasn’t the case.
Yachnin called the WSIB’s practice of selecting unrealistic “phantom” jobs for Thomas and the other workers a “xenophobic process” that entertains the false notion that foreign employees are able to return to Ontario at their whim, while treating the same migrants as “disposable” once they are no longer of use to the program.
“The tribunal recognized the importance of thinking about systemic anti-Black racism, and also, it considered the the structures that create precariousness among workers in this particular Seasonal Agricultural Worker Program,” Yachnin said.
When reached for comment, WSIB Public Affairs Manager Christine Arnott told CTV News Toronto Tuesday it would be conducting a review of how it processes and handles claims for migrants in the SAWP program.
“To ensure we are taking a consistent and fair approach that recognizes the realities of people’s local labour markets after they return home, the WSIB will be conducting a review of how claims for people in the federal Seasonal Agricultural Worker program are handled,” Arnott said.
The review is expected to be completed within six months, she said.
According to Arnott, there have been differing views shared over the recent years on how to determine work that is “suitable and available” for an injured or ill migrant worker after they return to their home country – the review will aim to clarify those definitions.
“This review will clarify how the claims are adjudicated and will determine whether previous decisions should also be adjusted,” Arnott said.
Workers whose claims are under review should be contacted by the WSIB directly within the coming weeks, she said.
Going forward, Yachnin said it will be critical to rectifying the current “unjust practice towards racialized migrant workers” who were permanently injured, lost their livelihoods here and in their home countries – and got nothing.
SIGNIFICANT CHALLENGES OVERCOME: LABOUR LAWYER
Toronto labour lawyer Roberto Henriquez, who was not involved with the September decision, said the challenges overcome to achieve this review were significant.
Often workers are disincentivized to speak out about poor working conditions, he said.
“The system itself functions in a way that effectively disciplines the people who speak out,” Henriquez said, referencing the risk of raising concerns in an environment in which an employee can be sent home and lose access to a primary source of income at any point in time.
The second barrier would have been simply navigating the WSIB system in the first place, he continued.
“There are employees who simply don't know how to access the system, don't necessarily know that the system exists and don't know what protections exist for them,” he said.
Touching on the newly announced review, Henriquez said it could serve as a sign that the agency is “recognizing and accepting” the tribunal decision and assessing how to implement the findings outlined going forward.
For Thomas, the decision to speak out came from a hope that, in bringing his case forward, a ripple of change would reverberate through the program.
“When I decided to do this, I wanted someone else to hear the changes they need to make in the WSIB system,” he said.
“Just imagine that you have an injury and you can’t work, and a system is there to help and they are not doing what they're supposed to do.”
The Shopping Trends team is independent of the journalists at CTV News. We may earn a commission when you use our links to shop. Read about us.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Rick Hansen's life changed the day he was told he'd never walk again, but instead of letting his disability stand in his way, he became an advocate for accessibility rights and a Paralympic Athlete. Here's how that happened.
Sandie Rinaldo: Rick Hansen marks the 50th anniversary of his life-changing accident by visiting the scene
Rick Hansen lost the use of his legs in a truck accident when he was just 15 years old, CTV National News anchor, Sandie Rinaldo interviewed him recently while visiting the place where his life changed irrevocably.
Israel pounded targets in the crowded southern half of the Gaza Strip on Saturday and ordered more neighborhoods designated for attack to evacuate, driving up the death toll even as the United States and others urged it to do more to protect Gaza civilians.
A protester was in critical condition Friday after setting themself on fire outside the Israeli consulate in Atlanta, authorities said. A security guard who tried to intervene was also injured.
Imprisoned opposition leader Alexei Navalny has been handed new charges by Russian prosecutors.
Residents of a Gatineau, Que. neighbourhood have been dealing with a string of strangers knocking at the doors of their homes looking to pick up their purchased products from Facebook Marketplace, but instead discovering they had been scammed.
Two Chinese community centres in the Montreal area are planning to launch a $2.5 million defamation lawsuit against the RCMP and the Attorney General of Canada after being accused by the police force of hosting 'alleged Chinese police stations.'
Ibrahim Ali's lawyer says the 13-year-old girl he's accused of murdering in a British Columbia park wasn't the “innocent” depicted in a “rose-coloured” portrayal by the Crown at trial.
It has been five days since Palestinian-Canadian couple, Khalil and Nabila Manna, returned from visiting relatives in Gaza, but while the couple planned to visit for a short-period of time, the Israel-Hamas conflict left them stranded for 40 days
Traffic on the Île-aux-Tourtes bridge will be reduced to one lane in each direction "for several weeks" as of Friday night, Quebec's transport ministry has confirmed. The eastbound portion of the bridge will be completely closed for about an hour starting at 11 p.m. Friday to redirect the lanes.
FAE's indefinite strike will continue. Union heads say they've submitted a counter-offer to Quebec as the widespread education walkout stretched into its seventh day.
After 12 days on hunger strike, Alexe Frédéric Migneault feels they have won a round in their battle against Quebec's health insurance board and is ending their fast.
Four years ago, the temporarily closed sign went up outside the Clinton Hospital’s emergency room.
Both the Crown and the defence have wrapped up their respective cases at the second degree murder trial of Robert Charnock in London.
Medical supply manufacturer Medicom announced it will build a $165 million plant in London to produce medical grade nitrile gloves — the first plant of its kind in Canada.
Alleged victims speak out after a Waterloo, Ont. man posed as a CSIS agent and scammed women out of millions
Several women have come forward claiming they were victims of a romance scam by a Waterloo, Ont. man. Police believe he allegedly defrauded dozens of women out of more than $2 million over 15 years.
Police in Six Nations of the Grand River say no one was hurt after a male barricaded himself inside a home and shot at police.
The transmission tower beside CTV Kitchener’s old station has been fully dismantled.
While he’s a big supporter of what the city has planned for downtown, the owner of Wacky Wings on Shaughnessy Street says he and his staff are “heartbroken” they are being forced out of their location.
A man is dead and another is in hospital after a vehicle crashed into Lake Ontario early on Saturday morning.
Ottawa Fire Services says a man was rescued from the Rideau Canal Saturday morning.
It's a snowy start to the weekend in Ottawa with a few centimetres in the forecast for Saturday and more coming at the start of the work week.
East-end LRT riders had to board R1 buses early Saturday morning because of a power connection issue linked to Stage 2 work, OC Transpo said.
A new survey suggests Windsor is the Canadian city most excited for Christmas as a number of holiday events and festivals take place this weekend.
The Windsor Essex County Health Unit (WECHU) says it will be reducing its staff by about 10 per cent in 2024 due to budgetary restraints.
The Detroit Fire Department says a paramedic has been placed on unpaid leave after allegedly crashing an ambulance while impaired.
A senior Barrie police officer is facing a charge of discreditable conduct following a recent investigation conducted by provincial police.
2 men and one child not properly secured in seat seriously injured in collision, both drivers charged
A child was rushed to a hospital after police say he wasn't properly secured in his seat when the SUV he was a passenger in was involved in a collision.
Three youths were arrested after an irritant was sprayed Friday morning at a school in the Halifax area.
A 25-year-old woman has been charged with murder in connection with a homicide in Cape Breton last week.
A low pressure system moving out of the northeastern United States and passing along the Atlantic coast of Nova Scotia is likely to bring parts of the Maritimes the first heavy snowfall for December on Monday.
Calgary police say a man killed in a drive-by shooting in the Beltline on Thursday night appears to be from out of town.
Michigan officials approved a $500 million plan Friday to encase in a protective tunnel a portion of an aging oil pipeline that runs beneath a channel connecting two Great Lakes, leaving just one more regulatory hurdle for the contentious project.
CTV News received some good news from students at the career college of Academy of Learning.
A suspect has been charged with four counts of second-degree murder in connection with the Langside homicide.
The Manitoba government is broadening its plan for a fuel tax holiday after receiving criticism from farm groups, snowmobilers and the Opposition Progressive Conservatives.
A new set of traffic lights are now operational on Highway 59 which runs through Brokenhead Ojibway Nation. The improvement comes months after a tragedy witnessed by several residents.
Sole survivor of Sea to Sky Highway crash on how faith, community are helping her unimaginable grief
Iris Paguia-Portillo was in the front passenger seat, and her brother James and two-year-old daughter Natalia in the back seat on their late night drive home from a church gathering on Nov. 26. Just 20 minutes from their Whistler home, she heard her husband Josefat Portillo scream as their car hit black ice and struck a tree.
The City of Coquitlam has ordered the developer behind a construction project on Foster Avenue that suffered a catastrophic, caught-on-camera collapse Wednesday to hire a third-party geotechnical engineer as it works to remediate the site.
Frustration is growing over a major traffic bottleneck on Highway 1 through Langley.
An elected official for the Town of Devon should be kicked out of her council seat, the town's mayor said Friday, the day after she was sentenced to 120 days in jail.
A cyclist is dead after a crash in west Edmonton on Friday.
Jennifer Rice, the Edmonton city councillor for Ward Ipiihkoohkanipiaohtsi, is disputing reports that she bullied staff and created a toxic work environment, but is still refusing to take questions about what happened.