A day-long search for an Ajax man who has been missing since his canoe capsized on Lake Ontario late Sunday was called off Monday evening, after nearly 24 hours of searching.
Search crews, including coast guard ships and military aircraft, cleared the lake after conducting a final sweep around 7:30 p.m.
Police, military members and volunteer emergency responders had been searching for a 26-year-old man, who has been missing since his canoe capsized on the lake, east of Toronto, Sunday night around 10:30 p.m.
The 26-year-old man was with a 28-year-old Ajax man when their canoe flipped.
Both were wearing life jackets and the 28-year-old man, who is related to the missing man, managed to swim to the shore and alert police.
A Durham Regional Police boat was dispatched to search for the missing canoeist, who is not a strong swimmer, according to his family.
A loose lifejacket and the canoe were pulled from the water, but there was no trace of the man.
Police said that weather and water conditions likely played a role in the canoe capsizing.
“They’ll continue to search as long as there is a chance of rescuing a survivour,” said Durham Regional Police Duty Insp. Jeff Friend earlier Monday. “The search is along the shore line and out for a distance of approximately 10 km.”
The man’s family and friends told CP24 they conducted their own ground search along the shore and planed to rent a boat and go out in the water.
Aiding in the rescue efforts were two coast guard vessels sent to the lake from the Whitby marina, a police helicopter and a military plane from CFB Trenton.