A man who brutally killed a 16-year-old Mississauga schoolgirl 25 years ago has been denied parole, bringing joy and relief to his victim's family.

David James Dobson, 42, must now wait two more years before he can apply to be released from a medium-security prison.

Tuesday's hearing before a national parole panel near Kingston was an emotional affair for the family of Darlene Prioriello, who saw Dobson for the first time since 1983.

"He's cold," said Terri Prioriello, Darlene's sister. "His eyes were the most horrible eyes I've ever looked into in my life."

Darlene was 16 years old when she was raped, tortured, choked and bludgeoned to death with a concrete brick on May 6, 1982 after being abducted by Dobson at a Mississauga bus stop.

The autopsy listed the cause of death as a fractured skull and asphyxiation.

Dobson, who was 17 at the time, was convicted of first-degree murder the following April, but not before taunting Peel police and his victim's family.

Dobson sent chilling "catch me if you can" letters to investigators after the murder and even phoned the Prioriellos and told them he had killed Darlene. Dobson was arrested a week after the murder.

Court documents show he has vowed to kill again on the anniversary of Darlene's killing.

Darlene's sister Terri ripped up her victim impact statement in frustration during the review on Tuesday because she says she wasn't able to say what she wanted.

"They said, 'Well you can't say the word monster, you can't call him a product of the devil -- it's disrespectful,'" Terri said.

"Well where was my sister's respect when he was murdering her?"

Darlene's mother Helen also called Dobson a monster. She shouted "I'm not buying your act" when Dobson mouthed the words "I'm sorry" to her.

In a 1998 interview Dobson said he found prison life to be comfortable.

Darlene's family cheered after leaving the parole hearing on Tuesday.

"He's staying home where he belongs, where he likes it!" Helen said.

The Prioriello family is trying to change the parole system through a nationwide petition.

They want parole hearings to be held every five years, not every two years as the current rules allow.

More than 1,500 people have signed the petition, available on their website at www.nofreedomdobson.com. The Prioriellos are hoping to get 10,000 signatures.

Dobson is eligible for full parole for the first time since his arrest 25 years ago.

He was transferred to a minimum-security prison in 2004, but the Prioriello family, with the help of the Canadian Resource Centre for Victims of Crime, persuaded officials to return him to the medium-security Bath Institution.

Dobson says he has an interest in "crime prevention" and would like to do community education work with other offenders on parole.

With a report from CTV's Austin Delaney