Man arrested after random stabbings in Toronto
A homeless man suspected of going on a random stabbing spree in downtown Toronto Tuesday is now in police custody.
Police were quick to arrest a suspect after four people walking seperately in the downtown core were unexpectedly slashed in the middle of the afternoon.
Investigators believe the victims were completely unknown to the attacker and each other. They also believe the attacks were completely unprovoked.
All four victims suffered non-life-threatening injuries.
The first incident occurred just after 11:30 a.m. outside a caf� on Adelaide Street, near Lombard and Victoria Streets. Police said the victim, a tourist, was minding his own business when a man ran up behind him and stabbed him in the back.
A security camera set up in the vicinity captured the incident on tape.
The suspect fled the scene. A short time later, the same man allegedly knifed a woman in the face as she was waiting for a streetcar at Queen and Sherbourne Streets.
After that, the suspect ran up to a woman down the street and slashed her in the face, police said. The man again fled on foot.
After initial media reports surfaced on the random stabbings, a fourth victim came forward to police with a similar story.
A man was treated for stab wounds to his hands, inflicted when he tried to defend himself from an oncoming attack.
It was not yet clear if charges had been laid in that incident.
Farid Marounisi, a 24-year-old man of no fixed address, is charged with three counts of attempted murder, possessing a dangerous weapon and carrying a concealed weapon.
He was expected to appear in court this morning.