Jays reliever Bass meets with Pride Toronto director after apologizing for post
Blue Jays pitcher Anthony Bass said he's "in a better place moving forward" after speaking with Pride Toronto's executive director in the wake of his social media post that supported anti-2SLGBTQ+ boycotts.
Bass, who made a public apology last week, said he had a "really good conversation" with Sherwin Modeste during a recent meeting at Rogers Centre.
"He was glad to see that I apologized," Bass said. "He just informed me about the Pride community and a lot of the good things that they're doing to spread awareness and make people feel comfortable with their decisions."
Modeste was pleased that Bass was willing to "unpack" some things when they met on Tuesday.
"I think it is a good second step but it is not the end of the journey," Modeste said when reached by phone Wednesday night. "I see this as a continuation of learning and this was something that we agreed on."
Bass was booed by the home crowd last week in his first game appearance since making a brief pre-game statement on May 30, a day after his Instagram post.
He prefaced his remarks that day by saying, "I’ll make this quick" before speaking for 33 seconds and returning to the dugout. Bass declined to take questions from reporters at the time.
Bass had shared a post urging others to spurn Target and Bud Light over the support they showed for the 2SLGBTQ+ community.
In an interview with The Canadian Press and Sportsnet, Bass said Modeste shed light on some topics in their one-hour conversation.
"(We were) talking about how a lot of people obviously are very uncomfortable coming out and making that big decision in their lives and how many people end up taking their lives because of that," Bass said.
"They didn't have that support group to help them get comfortable. So it definitely made me think back on my post and obviously being a public figure, it might not go over well with someone that's trying to feel comfortable in making a decision for their life.
"So for that reason, I definitely apologize, not only to Sherwin, but also knowing that I could have just kept those thoughts and feelings to myself, not knowing that it's a very difficult decision for a lot of people to come out."
The Blue Jays' fourth annual Pride Weekend begins Friday against the Minnesota Twins.
The event features involvement from various 2SLGBTQ+ organizations across the community, pre-game festivities, live performances and themed activities.
Bass, who no longer uses Twitter and has deleted the Instagram app from his phone, said he has taken some learnings from this whole experience.
"I have my personal beliefs in my faith and that's what initially drew me to re-post the video that I did," he said. "Through this process, speaking with Sherwin, getting the backlash from the majority of people here in Toronto, I just need to be more sensitive in understanding people are free to think and feel the way they want, and not to cause any type of burden or strain on someone that may be trying to make a decision with their life that some people might not be accepting of.
"I think I've learned that being accepting of everyone's views and values and beliefs is important."
Modeste said once they got to know each other a little bit, the conversation turned to unpacking the effect that Bass's post had on the community.
"He took full responsibility for it and said he now has a better understanding of (how) his reposting something (can) have an impact on other's lives," Modeste said.
"So that for me was what I was wanting to get. So I went in, I'm not going to hide, I (wanted) to really hammer home so he can leave that conversation having a better understanding of his power, his privilege and when he screws up, how that can affect others.
"I think that was made very clear and I don't foresee this mistake happening (again) on his part."
Modeste also mentioned options for potential next steps and offered support and to help facilitate interaction with other community members.
For now, Modeste said, it was left for Bass to think about.
"We left the conversation with a clear understanding that the respect that he expects for his belief and what he cherishes, that he will give the same respect to others," Modeste said.
Bass, meanwhile, said the lines of communication were open and he felt like he has "built a friendship."
On Friday, Bass plans to catch the ceremonial first pitch by leZlie Lee Kam, who has spent over 45 years working in the 2SLGBTQ+ community as a champion for senior and youth issues.
"I just want to let people know that there is unity there, there's acceptance there," Bass said. "It's like a symbol of acceptance and unity and I thought that was the right thing."
Asked about the reception he's expecting from the home crowd on the weekend, the veteran pitcher said he won't be surprised if fans are vocal.
"I would expect more boos," he said. "It's still fresh, it's still pretty new and I think it's going to take some more time than just a week and a half to get the fans hopefully changing those boos into cheers. But I get it.
"I understand where they're coming from. So I'm just going to keep doing my job and hopefully in time things will be better."
This report by The Canadian Press was first published June 8, 2023.
CTVNews.ca Top Stories
Health Canada has issued a recall notice affecting multiple Rainbow Road Board books due to a potential choking hazard.
The U.S. is in touch with Indians at high levels after Ottawa said Indian government agents had links to the murder of a Sikh separatist leader in Canada, and Washington is giving India no 'special exemption' in the matter, U.S. national security adviser Jake Sullivan said on Thursday.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is set to arrive in the national capital for his first official visit to Canada since Russia launched a full-scale invasion in February 2022.
An investigation into unmarked graves and missing children by British Columbia's Sto:lo Nation has revealed at least 158 deaths, most of them at an Indigenous hospital.
As Canadians report their frustrations with 'out-of-control' tipping culture, some wonder whether it is time to remove the option to tip at restaurants and is it even possible amid rising food costs?
A Canadian-founded video platform which has found success among right-wing commentators says it will not be removing the ability for Russell Brand to monetize videos on their platform after receiving an inquiry on the subject from the U.K. government amid a wave of sexual assault allegations against the comic.
A Toronto-based law firm was awarded a nearly $4.5 million contract to work on former special rapporteur David Johnston's ill-fated foreign interference probe.
Man admits to fatally poisoning Toronto toddler's breakfast cereal in 'obsessive' plot against married woman
A Toronto man has admitted to fatal poisoning of a toddler's breakfast cereal at a Scarborough residence in 2021 as part of an "obsessive" plot against a married woman.
Members of the Indo-Canadian community are reeling after the Indian government suspended visa services for citizens of Canada, upending travel plans for those set on visiting the country but now caught in the crossfire of a diplomatic blowup.
Already three weeks into the school year, hundreds of students are still waiting on Quebec's education ministry to issue eligibility certificates to attend English school, according to a group representing English-language school boards in Quebec.
Until this week, Sukhwinder Dhillon was set on making his first trip back to India in years sometime in the next few months. “My father passed, and my brother passed,” said the 56-year-old Montrealer. “I want to go now.”
Parents at a daycare in downtown Montreal say they're worried about their children's safety because of rampant crime and drug use in the area. At CPE Le Petit Palais, interactions with the local homeless population are a daily occurrence.
'Citizens were yelling and screaming': London police officers testify in truck attack trial in Windsor
Three constables testified Thursday in Superior Court in the ongoing trial of Nathaniel Veltman, 22. He is on trial for four counts of terrorism-motivated first-degree murder and one count of terrorism-motivated attempted murder.
While each of the locations would have different operating budgets, the average annual cost is almost $111,759 per bed.
Premier Doug Ford said he will be reversing his government’s decision to open up the Greenbelt to developers, calling the controversial land removals a “mistake.”
It comes less than a week after the symphony abruptly cancelled its upcoming season and days after leadership announced they needed to secure $2 million by Friday to avoid insolvency.
A Guelph, Ont. wrestler turned down a shot at training with top pro wrestling talent because she didn't agree with how the prize fund was split among competitors.
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry says it is investigating “a matter” related to the Top 50 Classic tournament held earlier this month on Lake Nipissing.
Red-light cameras in Sudbury have been busy in the last year catching drivers at different locations in the city.
Controversial Sudbury roads project was halted because of problems with the asphalt, investigation concludes
Sudbury’s auditor general is refuting allegations from a road resurfacing company that levelled several personal accusations against city staff that halted work on a project this summer.
After months of competition and paperwork, the Ottawa Senators officially have a new owner.
A former Ottawa high school teacher and basketball coach charged with sex crimes against young students was found guilty Thursday of multiple offences against four victims including sexual assault and sexual exploitation.
Two sisters from Kingston and their adoptive mother have been charged by Iqaluit RCMP with two counts each of fraud over $5,000 following an investigation into allegations they falsely claimed to be Inuit in order to receive a benefit as adopted Inuit children through Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporation (NTI).
An arrest warrant has been issued by Windsor police for the suspect believed to be responsible for making a false bomb threat targetting the area near the Ontario Court of Justice late last week.
A business owner in Windsor is warning her antique shop is not hiring despite a job posting advertising otherwise that’s led to dozens of calls.
Barrie's new Maple Ridge High School played their first-ever football game Thursday in honour of Eastview coach Martin Carl who passed away in 2020.
The trial of Milton Urgilies, charged with criminal negligence causing death in a crash south of Alliston that claimed the life of 53-year-old Denis Garant, continued Thursday.
Autumn Shaganash of Barrie has been missing since June 10th, however, police and family have not given up hope of finding her.
Cybersecurity Breach: MOVEit costs N.S. taxpayers more than $3 million; personal info from thousands still at risk
N.S. MOVEit cyber hack price tag $2.85 million for credit monitoring services alone.
While the population in the Halifax-area grows, the number of rentals available is dwindling, leaving many paying prices for units that have never been seen in Nova Scotia’s history.
The RCMP's promise to apologize for street checks that targeted Black people is being welcomed by the new African Nova Scotian Affairs minister, but she says she is more interested in what it will mean for future police conduct.
The death of Calgarian Tristan Anderson is prompting his family to push for changes to make CTrain and bus stations safer.
Betty Ann Williams died after her neighbours' three large dogs got loose and attacked while she was gardening outside her home.
Lake Louise Ski Resort isn’t letting the devastating fire that destroyed its employee lodging over the summer dampen excitement over the upcoming and future ski seasons with major upgrades underway.
Manitoba's three main party leaders squared off over health care, the cost of living and other issues during a one-hour televised leaders debate Thursday night in advance of the Oct. 3 provincial election.
The Winnipeg Police Service is investigating the city’s 26th homicide of the year.
Hundreds of students in Winnipeg were absent Wednesday due to 'misinformation' and pressure in the community amid widespread protests and counterprotests over gender identity in the classroom, school officials say.
A grieving family is outraged that the man accused in a double killing in Chilliwack last week is being released on bail.
'They were good men': Colleague remembers 4 B.C. wildland firefighters killed in head-on collision near Kamloops
A team leader at Tomahawk Ventures, a company contracted by the province to fight forest fires, is remembering four colleagues who died when their pickup truck crashed into a semi truck on the Trans-Canada Highway near Kamloops early Tuesday morning.
It may be happening too slow for some and too fast for others, but technological innovations are taking place in British Columbia's municipalities, with cybersecurity and funding key considerations as they move forward.
Premier Danielle Smith is keeping MLA Jason Stephan in her UCP caucus despite an Alberta NDP demand to remove him for speaking at a '1MillionMarch4Children' protest.
Feedback generated by an engagement panel formed by the Alberta government in the wake of news it is considering forming a provincial pension plan will determine whether the idea will go to a referendum, Premier Danielle Smith said Thursday.
Photo of bedroom where young girl was sexually assaulted released by Alberta police to identify victim
Alberta police are trying to identify a sexual assault victim who is believed to be six to 10 years old.