A Regent Park resident says he heard the sound of gunshots Monday night and opened his front door to find his 18-year-old next-door neighbour covered in blood.

“As soon as it clicked in that it was gunshots, I just ran downstairs and told everybody in my house to get down,” Cody Rogers told CTV News Toronto Tuesday.

Toronto police said officers were called to the area of Gerrard and Sumach streets at around 9:30 p.m. Monday after multiple people reported hearing gunshots in the area.

When officers arrived on scene, they found a young man, who has now been identified as 18-year-old Ali Rizeig, suffering from gunshot wounds.

Rizeig was rushed to hospital with life-threatening injuries but was later pronounced dead.

Rogers told CTV News Toronto that he heard the gunfire and then banging on his front door.

“When I walked outside, I saw Ali laying there in his own blood,” he said.

Police have not released a detailed suspect description but previously said that one person was seen fleeing the scene in what appeared to be a dark-coloured SUV.

The victim, Schertzer said, lived at a residence on Gerrard Street.

“I’m sitting five or six doors down the road and it was quite distinct,” one resident, who did not provide their name, said of the gunfire.

“I’d say (there were) six to eight shots.”

Other residents said they heard “a lot of screaming” before sirens started approaching.

Police are asking anyone who may have witnessed the shooting to contact investigators.

“We are asking anyone in the area of Sumach and Gerrard or even extending neighbourhoods, if they have any cameras on their residence, if they have any car-mounted cameras, we are looking for a time span of between anywhere from 7 p.m. to about 10 p.m.,” Schertzer said.

The shooting occurred just hours after another man was killed in a daylight shooting near Adelaide and George streets.

When asked if there could be a connection between the two homicides, Schertzer said she has not found anything to indicate that the two cases are linked.

“I can’t speak to the other homicide. They have a very competent detective-sergeant in charge of that team and they are working diligently and vigilantly and they are following the evidence wherever it leads them,” she said.

“If it so happens they cross paths, then we’ll get together but so far there is nothing to indicate that to me thus far.”

Rogers said he and his family are shocked and described Rizeig as a “really good kid.”

“It hurts a lot,” he said.