GTA cleans up debris, restores power after storm
Hundreds of residents in the GTA were still without power Saturday after a storm hit late Friday afternoon.
Some homes sustained structural damage; other properties were littered with branches and debris. Big trees and power lines fell.
A spokesperson for Toronto Hydro said that the majority of the city's power outage complaints were from the North York area, but that people across the city were affected.
"The harder hit neighborhoods are across the northeast, northwest of the old city of Toronto...largely because there are a lot of mature tress," Tanya Bruckmueller, a Toronto Hydro representative, told the media.
The company estimated that at the height of the storm Friday 20,000 people to 30,000 people in Toronto were without power. There were about 127,000 across Ontario.
Gusting winds caused tree limbs to come into contact with wires, resulting in the service interruptions.
Saturday crews were working overtime to clean up the mess and get power back on.
"Crews continue to work though to get our customers restored," Bruckmueller said.
"What they're dealing with now is a lot of the aftermath of the storm...homes that are without power and individual power lines that have come down"
Toronto Hydro is making fallen wire calls their number one priority because they're considered a safety risk.
Bruckmueller said that people who have fallen power lines should stay as far away as possible from the and call Toronto Hydro, even if it's tempting to investigate or clean up the mess.
"You can't see electricity because it's invisible so you never know and you'd always, as a safety precaution, treat it as a live wire."
Power outage tips from Toronto Hydro:
Stay clear of low-hanging and downed power lines or damaged utility poles. Report them as soon as possible at 416.542.8000.
Turn off or unplug electronic components and motor-driven equipment, such as computers, fridges, furnaces and pumps.
Don't open the freezer. Food will remain frozen for up to two days in a closed freezer cabinet, if undisturbed. Once thawed, cook food before refreezing.
Avoid opening the fridge. Perishables, such as milk, should last six to eight hours, but if in doubt, throw it out.
Never use a gas stove as a room heater, and don't barbecue inside the garage. If a fireplace or kerosene space heater is used, open a window for ventilation. Otherwise, there is a real danger of death from carbon monoxide poisoning or asphyxiation
For homes with automatic garage door openers, pull the dangling nylon cord to release the door for manual opening.
If you have a gas-powered generator, don't run it in the garage, as deadly carbon monoxide fumes can seep into your home.
With a report from CTV's Roger Petersen