Michael Bryant, once Ontario's attorney general, cannot drive a car or any motor vehicle until the legal process deals with criminal charges stemming from a fatal road range incident with a cyclist.

A trial could well be months, if not more than year, into the future. However, Bryant's next court appearance will be Oct. 19.

In addition to the driving ban, the following other conditions -- which only became public late Friday -- were imposed on Bryant's release from police custody on Tuesday:

  • he must remain in Ontario
  • he must leave his passport with police
  • he must notify police of any change in address, employment or occupation

Bryant stepped down from his position as CEO of Invest Toronto on Wednesday, a job he took up in June after leaving provincial politics.

"Let me be clear: I am innocent of the very serious accusations made against me," Bryant said in an open letter to Mayor David Miller.

Bryant faces charges of criminal negligence causing death and dangerous driving causing death. The latter charge carries a maximum penalty of life in prison.

Bryant has retained the services of Toronto public affairs firm Navigator Ltd. He hasn't taken questions from journalists to this point.

He has hired prominent Toronto lawyer Marie Henein to lead his defence team, and there are reports he will be hiring private investigators to do a parallel search for answers as to what happened on Bloor Street shortly before 10 p.m. on Monday.

What seems to have happened

The ex-politician had been out for a 12th anniversary evening with his wife, entertainment lawyer Susan Abramovitch. They live in the vicinity of Avenue Road and St. Clair Avenue.

At some point, they encountered Darcy Allan Sheppard, a 33-year-old bicycle courier.

Police say there was a minor collision between Bryant's black Saab convertible and Sheppard's bicycle.

Sheppard wasn't hurt, but he was angered. Some reports suggest he slammed his bag on the hood of the car.

Bryant pulled away, but Sheppard pursued him and grabbed the vehicle on the driver's side. For some reason, Sheppard hung on.

One point authorities will have to examine is whether Sheppard was interfering with Bryant's ability to control the car. The Saab went west on Bloor and swerved left into the eastbound lanes to avoid a construction crew between St. Thomas Street and Avenue Road.

Sheppard hit a tree, then a grey Canada Post mailbox. He would die of his injuries an hour later.

Bryant pulled into the parking lot of the Park Hyatt Hotel and called 911.

Misty Bailey -- an on-again, off-again girlfriend of Sheppard's -- told reporters that police had refused to take Sheppard home after he showed up drunk at her door. Police have said while he may have been drinking, he wasn't drunk. Giving people rides home isn't their responsibility, they have said.

Meanwhile, Allan Sheppard Sr. has arrived in Toronto to take his son's remains home to Alberta for burial.

"Mr. Sheppard, and all of Darcy Allan's family, are deeply saddened by the loss of their loved one, and believe that no person deserves to die in the circumstances that occurred," said a statement released Friday through Aboriginal Legal Services of Toronto.

As to the charges against Bryant, the statement had Sheppard saying: "This matter is before the courts now and we are relying on the just ice system to sort out what occurred on the fatal night."

Sheppard expressed his gratitude to his son's friends and supporters for their help since the tragedy.

One of those is Ryan Walsh, who is organizing a memorial service for Monday afternoon at the Native Canadian Centre on Spadina Road.

"It's still hard to think about that, to process that he's really not there," Walsh told CTV Toronto at the mailbox where his friend lost his life -- a site that has become a small shrine.

With a report from CTV Toronto's Michelle Dube and files from The Canadian Press