The father of a sick baby who was at the centre of an organ donation controversy learned Wednesday he will go to trial on assault and robbery charges on Nov. 10.

Jason Wallace, who lives in Bradford, Ont., is charged with aggravated assault and robbery in connection with a fight that took place at the Don Valley Brick Works in October 2006.

During the fight, police allege a man was severely beaten and robbed of $8,000. Wallace and two other men were charged.

"Why I'm charged, I ain't got a clue," Wallace told reporters who gathered outside the courtroom.

"It was a bar argument that went the wrong way and the other two took it way too far," he alleged. "There was no robbery. I can assure you that." 

Wallace, who earlier this month gave news crews daily updates about his daughter Kaylee's condition, has enlisted the help of a publicist to handle the media.

However, with that publicist in tow, he complained about the media attention surrounding his court appearance. Wallace also admitted to some mistakes in his past.

"I was a bad guy. I was a bad guy," he said.

"You make mistakes but truly I'm a changed individual from my many years ago and I'm trying to do the right thing in my life. Unfortunately now this has become part of the media spectrum instead of what my daughter's situation is."

Wallace has prior convictions for obstructing justice, assault and dealing crack cocaine.

He said he wasn't a drug user but that he "sold drugs for profit" during a hard time in his life.

"When you have a record, it's hard to get a job because you've done some things that you may not be proud of doing."

Wallace is holding another news conference on Thursday, according to his flamboyantly-dressed publicist. At that time, he will reportedly appeal to the public for financial assistance to help them pay for his daughter's future health care costs.

"We're hoping that (the news conference) is going to stay focused on baby Kaylee," publicist J.P. Pampena told The Canadian Press.

Kaylee has a rare condition called Joubert Syndrome. When she falls asleep, she stops breathing.

Kaylee remains in Toronto's Hospital for Sick Children, as does Lillian O'Connor, a Prince Edward Island infant awaiting a heart for transplant.

A feeding tube was inserted into Kaylee on Tuesday. She is receiving intermittent breathing support.

With files from The Canadian Press and a report from Chris Eby.