Ford was 'frustrated' when he swore during 911 call
Published Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:52PM EDT
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford says he was "frustrated" when he swore during a call with a 911 dispatcher on Monday, moments after a crew for a comedy TV show arrived unannounced at his home.
But the mayor stood by his outrage over the incident, which he has described as an ambush.
"Maybe I shouldn't have used the F-word" Ford told reporters on Thursday afternoon, adding that he was "accosted" by the TV crew.
Ford had been accused of verbally harassing 911 dispatchers with an emergency call after a crew from CBC's "This Hour Has 22 Minutes" ambushed him as he was exiting his Etobicoke home, reportedly with his daughter.
Police sources told CBC News that Ford became agitated while waiting for assistance and lost his temper in a second phone call to the dispatchers.
In the second call, Ford allegedly shouted: "You … bitches! Don't you f--king know? I'm Rob f--king Ford, the mayor of this city!"
The CBC reaffirmed those details later on Thursday. While Ford said that it was up to the police to release a tape of the call, the police said that it was Ford's decision.
But Ford, who spoke to reporters after a game with the high school football team he coaches, denied making any foul comments toward 911 staff. He also said he never used the word "bitch."
"I never used it in a conceded manner, and I was frustrated. And I was very upset that they accosted me on my driveway."
In an earlier statement, Ford said that the bad language was the result of being confronted on his private property.
"After being attacked in my driveway, I hope I can be excused for saying the f-word," he said in the statement. "I never called anyone any names. I apologize for expressing my frustration inappropriately."
There haven't been any formal complaints filed in relation to Ford's alleged 911 calls, according to the Toronto Police Association.
TPA president Mike McCormack said Thursday morning he hasn't heard Ford's 911 dispatch tapes or read the transcript.
"Publicly, we have not said anything about this," he told CTVToronto.ca. "All I can say is: I hope anyone contacting our dispatchers understands the difficulty and importance of their job."
Several details remain unclear
Ford told reporters it was dark outside when CBC's film crews ran toward him and his daughter with actress Mary Walsh, who was playing the infamous character of prodding journalist Marg Delahunty.
A video clip released of the incident, however, shows it was light outside when CBC's cameras were rolling. Ford's daughter isn't visible in the footage either.
In total, there were three calls between Ford and 911, a source told CTV. The third call was made when dispatchers called Ford back on his cellphone, but Ford was in his vehicle and had already left his home.
This isn't the first time Ford's actions have put him in the headlines. Earlier this year, a woman said that Ford gave her the middle finger when she spotted him driving and talking on his cellphone, which is illegal in Ontario.
The woman, who was with her six-year-old daughter, said that she motioned to Ford to get off the phone, only to have him give her the finger.
Ford called the incident a "misunderstanding" and news reports of it "inaccurate."
Meanwhile, Etobicoke-Lakeshore Coun. Peter Milczyn said he isn't sure what to make of the 911 allegations.
"Don't we have more important things to deal with?" he told reporters.