NEW YORK - Baseball commissioner Bud Selig says he will not stand in the way of the mammoth 12-player deal between the Toronto Blue Jays and Miami Marlins.

Selig approved the trade Monday that sees Toronto acquire all-star shortstop Jose Reyes, pitchers Mark Buehrle and Josh Johnson, catcher John Buck and outfielder Emilio Bonifacio for seven relatively low-priced players.

Miami receives infielders Yunel Escobar and Adeiny Hechavarria, pitchers Henderson Alvarez, Anthony DeSclafani and Justin Nicolino, catcher Jeff Mathis and outfielder Jake Marisnick under the deal, which was agreed to last week. The Marlins also are sending Toronto cash.

The players traded by the Marlins have combined guaranteed salaries of US$163.75 million through 2018, including $96 million due Reyes.

  • Watch Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos discuss the blockbuster trade in a press conference LIVE on Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. ET / 6:30 a.m. PT

"It is my conclusion that this transaction, involving established major leaguers and highly regarded young players and prospects, represents the exercise of plausible baseball judgment on the part of both clubs, does not violate any express rule of Major League Baseball and does not otherwise warrant the exercise of any of my powers to prevent its completion," Selig said it a statement. "It is, of course, up to the clubs involved to make the case to their respective fans that this transaction makes sense and enhances the competitive position of each, now or in the future."