19-year-old charged in connection with Toronto shooting
Published Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:37PM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:25PM EDT
A 19-year-old man faces a firearm charge in connection with the east-end Toronto block party shooting that killed two people and injured 23 others Monday night.
Shyanne Charles, 14, and Joshua Yasay, 23, were killed when gunfire erupted on Danzig Street, near Morningside and Lawrence Avenues, in the city’s district of Scarborough.
A 22-month-old toddler was grazed in the head by a bullet in the melee, but escaped serious injury.
Nahom Tsegazab, of Toronto, was charged Thursday with reckless discharge of a firearm. He was injured in the shooting and remains in police custody.
Police said the charge against Tsegazab relates only to injuries sustained by surviving victims, not the two deaths.
Police sources told CTV Toronto investigators believe the accused was the only intended target of the first shots that rang out on Monday night. They allege that he then pulled out his own gun and began firing.
Sources also say the accused is a member of the Galloway Boys gang.
The shooting prompted widespread outrage and calls from community leaders for action.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty will meet Toronto Mayor Rob Ford on Monday, and plans to visit the East Scarborough Boys and Girls Club to meet with local community leaders.
Ford said this week that he will ask the provincial government for more police funding to combat gun violence. He also said he wants to banish violent criminals and gang members from the city, suggesting that he’ll ask Prime Minister Stephen Harper about changes to federal immigration laws.
Ford’s response to the shooting has drawn criticism from his opponents on city council, who pointed out that the mayor was the only one who voted against accepting federal money to combat gangs last year.
Shortly after the mass shooting, Ford said the best way to prevent gang violence in the city is by creating jobs.
Police are still urging witnesses to come forward with information as community members continue to gather to speak out against gun violence and hold vigils for the victims.
Meanwhile, funeral arrangements have been finalized for one of the two young people gunned down Monday night.
The funeral service for Joshua Yasay, described in his obituary as a mentor, youth worker and entrepreneur, will be held Monday in Ajax, where he lived.
With a report from CTV Toronto's John Musselman
A police marker and surgical scissors lie on the ground near the scene of Monday night's shooting on Danzig Street in Toronto, Tuesday July 17, 2012. (Aaron Vincent Elkaim / THE CANADIAN PRESS)
Police investigate the scene of a fatal shooting that killed two and injured 23 people in Scarborough on Tuesday, July 17, 2012.